Ryan Ball
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angels

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

Hi all,

I'm building my DP reel and was wondering if any professional cinematographers living in Los Angeles would be willing to share some of their knowledge with me. I'm interested in learning more about lenses and working with 16mm, 35mm and HD cameras. If nothing else, lets have a beer sometime. I'm buying!

Thanks. You can see my reel at
View on Vimeo

#2 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

Can't get in, says there is a password required.

#3 Ryan Ball

Ryan Ball
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angels

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

Can't get in, says there is a password required.

It should work. I didn't password protect it.

#4 Andrew Brinkhaus

Andrew Brinkhaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

It's not a password issue, just go to the video properties and change it to "public."

#5 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hi all, lets have a beer sometime. I'm buying!

There are two things cameramen like and that's free beer and a free t-shirt. With an offer like that, I might tell you everything I know and everything I don't.

#6 Ryan Ball

Ryan Ball
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angels

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

It's not a password issue, just go to the video properties and change it to "public."

Okay. Fixed it. Thanks. I thought it defaulted to public.

#7 Ryan Ball

Ryan Ball
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angels

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

There are two things cameramen like and that's free beer and a free t-shirt. With an offer like that, I might tell you everything I know and everything I don't.

I think I can throw in a free T-shirt as well, Tom. Let me know when you're going to be at your favorite watering hole.

Ryan

#8 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

Can you spare the time to get on a big production as a camera PA?

Speaking for myself, I've always learned loads of new things by working around the big boys whenever possible. I even pull IATSE stagehand standby gigs here in OKC from time to time on big Broadway tours and concerts coming through OKC just to pick up tips and tricks on things like rigging, lighting, and other stagecraft issues. It's fun to work under department heads who in the past have been hired by me on productions I've lit, etc. We all get a kick out of me becoming the peon to their "master".

#9 Ryan Ball

Ryan Ball
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angels

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

Can you spare the time to get on a big production as a camera PA?

Speaking for myself, I've always learned loads of new things by working around the big boys whenever possible. I even pull IATSE stagehand standby gigs here in OKC from time to time on big Broadway tours and concerts coming through OKC just to pick up tips and tricks on things like rigging, lighting, and other stagecraft issues. It's fun to work under department heads who in the past have been hired by me on productions I've lit, etc. We all get a kick out of me becoming the peon to their "master".

Yeah, I'd love to work as a camera assistant on a shoot. However, it's been my experience that smaller films offer more opportunities to jump in a get your feet wet. I've worked on several student films and a couple low-budget features and got a chance to wear a lot of different hats by the time the shoots were over.

#10 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:02 PM

Yeah, I'd love to work as a camera assistant on a shoot. However, it's been my experience that smaller films offer more opportunities to jump in a get your feet wet. I've worked on several student films and a couple low-budget features and got a chance to wear a lot of different hats by the time the shoots were over.

I really think the best entry level position to the world of large production film making is as a loader or second. You don't have to have a lot of skills. It's something that can be taught pretty quickly. Find out through your film commission what's coming to town and then find out who is working on it and make some calls.

#11 Drew Bienemann

Drew Bienemann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

I really think the best entry level position to the world of large production film making is as a loader or second. You don't have to have a lot of skills. It's something that can be taught pretty quickly. Find out through your film commission what's coming to town and then find out who is working on it and make some calls.

Just to be clear though, a loader/ second AC is NOT an entry level position. Though a camera PA is for sure.

#12 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

Just to be clear though, a loader/ second AC is NOT an entry level position. Though a camera PA is for sure.

You'd be surprised.

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

CineLab

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape