3 replies to this topic

#1 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

The recent simple setup discussion thread got me thinking about how much I like seeing a still and hearing how it was done. I want to start posting some stills of my work and hopefully others will do the same.

For starters, this is a shot from a video I did this weekend with a couple of rappers. (MC Lyte and David Banner).
Posted Image

Pretty simple shot of the two addressing camera in front of a studio mixing board.

For Key I flew a 4 bank kino with 1/2 cto directly over top of them. Rap videos tend to have a lot of top light and I think it looks cool.

On the floor just under them, I took a second kino with one bulb and some opal to give them a little fill.

The backlight and rim was a 650w fresnel with 1/2 blue on it to give a hair light for her and an edge for him. I let that spill across the mixing board and flagged it to give a little contour.

The studio itself wasn't the prettiest location so I used a lot of negative space to hide the dingy walls.

There is another 300w with 216 to bring out the speaker on the back wall just a touch.

Afterwards I wished I'd gotten a little something to sparkle in their eyes but it's going to be small and on the web so I'm not going to sweat it.

I will start posting some better samples and I hope others will do the same. I love seeing how other people do stuff!

Chad

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Ok, this one is my Hallway of HELL! gave me vertigo panning up and down those stairs, alas, but it's simply a 650 fresnel bouncing off of the white wall camera left up high to "mimic" an overhead light, and the ugly CFL in the background as well. Shot SR3 7219 with a Cooke variable prime.
Posted Image

This one, same film, is just re-globing the overheads with 100Ws and a few little 40W bulbs hidden under the bar.
Posted Image
300 W straight down:
Posted Image
Same 300W light coming from the side through 1/8 CTO and 216. He's lit with just the china-ball over his head.
Posted Image

That's all I have for now; as I get more, I'll surely post 'em up, maybe a few screen grabs from this other short I'm about to finish (joys of lens adapters....)

#3 Shawn Booth

Shawn Booth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Honolulu

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

Posted Image

1200 HMI Par single light source
Diffusion provided solely by wooden vertical slats that made the wall off camera left.

Edited by Shawn Booth, 02 May 2009 - 08:32 PM.

#4 Hampus Bystrom

Hampus Bystrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Student
  • Stocktown

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:46 AM

A woman looking dominant in a soviet hat? I officially love that movie now.
On a more serious note, yes, I love these threads. I don't have much to contribute, but please keep posting away

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly