#1 Karel Bata

Karel Bata
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Director
  • London - a rather posh bit

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

"Cameramen posing as tourists shot more than 250,000 photographs and hours of video, used by producers of Da Vinci Code prequel to get around ban on filming in Rome's churches"

http://www.guardian....n-fake-tourists

Anyone have the technical lowdown on this? I'm also wondering copyright infringement here...

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:21 AM

Chances are they just used the photos/videos to do digital extensions and/or build their own sets, more of reference material then stuff which would be in the final film. I seems to allude to shooting video/stills which is why I get the idea this was more so in pre production then it was for the actual shooting of the film. Guess we'll find out in about 2 weeks, though.

#3 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:40 AM

It's for reference to build a digital environment of the Vatican City - to augment a practical set.

Not sure if there is any copyright infringement going on here. I'm not too familiar with Architectural Copyright, but I would imagine that the age of the buildings puts their design well within the public domain.

Edited by Will Earl, 28 April 2009 - 07:44 AM.

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

I'm not too familiar with Architectural Copyright, but I would imagine that the age of the buildings puts their design well within the public domain.

That's the way it is in the United States, at least. As always, your mile-age may vary from place to place. Good luck trying to photograph a refinery, military installation, or government property here. Good luck (still) trying to take pictures of high-rises in New York City, or Chicago.

(I still did it though, less than a week after they uncovered a plot to fly a plane into the Chicago skyline back in the summer of '06)

#5 Karel Bata

Karel Bata
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Director
  • London - a rather posh bit

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

There's a lot of security at St. Peter's - which is a good contender for the world's 8th wonder! I wonder if they've now screwed things up a bit for the average tourist taking photos.

Or maybe that's a good thing? Stop taking photos and really look. You ever get that? You're shooting something and you never really get a chance to take a proper look at it?

BTW It's illegal in the UK now to take a picture of a policeman, or any govt. building. :huh:

Edited by Karel Bata, 28 April 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#6 Daniel Moore

Daniel Moore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

Chances are they just used the photos/videos to do digital extensions and/or build their own sets, more of reference material then stuff which would be in the final film. I seems to allude to shooting video/stills which is why I get the idea this was more so in pre production then it was for the actual shooting of the film. Guess we'll find out in about 2 weeks, though.

Yep. Any filming of the real Vatican had to have been for pre-production reference. The Vatican wouldn't let the crew film there in Italy, so the crew actually re-created the Vatican to scale in an enormous empty sports arena parking lot in Inglewood, CA. A lot of it was built, and then later on they took large parts away and replaced the empty spaces with fifty foot high green screen walls for the digital post effects. It looked amazing.

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Opal

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera