defacto

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:18 AM

Hey all,
I'm an amateur filmmaker who has up until now exclusively shot on digital. I really don't know anything about film or film cameras, but a project has come up that the digital look just doesn't suit well. To fix this, I'd like to shoot on Super 8.

The camera I'm looking at purchasing is the Canon 1014, mostly for its ability to shoot at 18, 24, and 54 fps, as I'd like to incorporate some slow motion scenes. Is this a good choice? I can find lots of information about the more expensive 1014 XL-S, but I have no need for the sound.

I'd really like to get the look of these two videos: http://www.spectrafi...m/Telecine.html (the ads for Vans and Bud Light). What kind of film should I use? Is there anything I should know while shooting? I'd really like to recapture that vintage, vignetted look, which is perfect for the video I'm doing.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

#2 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

Hello, Please use your real name as these are the rules of this forum.
It alsmost doesn't matter what camera you choose when it comes to Super8. I find the newer Canon 1014 excellent, the sound option doesn't matter. Be sure to get a wide angle macro adapter with it and a nice option for slomo. In this case the Beaulieu 4008 ZM (80 fps) is the best.
I've looked at the spots you mentioned and i guess that most stuff was shot with a 16mm Bolex or similar.
For telecine it's more common to use negative stock.
100D for Super 8 is excellent. I also like the TriX B/W from Kodak. Very grainy in S8 and looks great.

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Technodolly

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies