Michael Berwick

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

Does anybody know the film stock Bruce Surtees used for the filming of High Plains Drifter and Outlaw Josey Wales?

I am looking for this particular look. It seems possible that reversal stock has been used, or even that the black tones have been brought out but i'm not sure.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Hi,

Does anybody know the film stock Bruce Surtees used for the filming of High Plains Drifter and Outlaw Josey Wales?

I am looking for this particular look. It seems possible that reversal stock has been used, or even that the black tones have been brought out but i'm not sure.

Thanks,

Mike

"High Plains Drifter" (1973) would have been shot in 1972-ish, and "Outlaw Jose Wales" (1976) would have been shot in 1975-ish -- so both movies were probably shot on 5254, 100 ASA tungsten-balanced Kodak color negative.

I don't think anything was done to enhance the contrast of those stocks other than perhaps some underexposure and push-processing in low light. Eastwood movies were known however for not using much fill light, especially outdoors, and Surtees was known for liking to underexpose and work in low levels of light.

#3 Thomas Del Ruth ASC

Thomas Del Ruth ASC

New

• Sustaining Members
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Bend, OR

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

David is right, "Outlaw Josie Wales" was 5254. However no development changes were maid in the Lab (DeLux)
I was the A cam operator on the show all those many years ago.

#4 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

Hi everyone , sorry to get back to my old chestnut !!! but 5254 was and is still the best Motion Picture stock Kodak ever produced !! But you would need ECN 1 to process it !! . So its not goona happen !!!

#5 Ignacio Aguilar

Ignacio Aguilar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madrid, Spain

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

Very sad news, Bruce Surtees died a few days ago.

I've just rewatched "The Outlaw Josey Wales", a film that truly shows his talent to use light and how dare he was, just using a few beams for his interior scenes, leaving most of the frame in complete darkness. He also was exposing for the blue skies on daytime scenes, mostly in cross and back light, using none or very little fill light, resulting in a very high contrast image and frequently underexposed characters/faces against bright and correctly exposed backgrounds, which most likely was considered a mistake back then, but looks very natural and incredibly rich on Blu-ray.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rest in peace, Mr. Surtees.

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

CineLab