Matthew Rethage

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

Greetings All,

I’ve just purchased my first camera an Arri BL, however when apply power to the camera I get no kind of function at all. I've tested wires and there is power running through the cables it's just not getting to the motor at all. Where can i find a moter for this camera?

Does anyone have any kind of advice I could use on this matter?

Is there a shop manual or anything like this I may be able to look at?

Thanks.

Matt
Forefront Productions

#2 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

Greetings All,

I’ve just purchased my first camera an Arri BL, however when apply power to the camera I get no kind of function at all. I've tested wires and there is power running through the cables it's just not getting to the motor at all. Where can i find a moter for this camera?

Does anyone have any kind of advice I could use on this matter?

Is there a shop manual or anything like this I may be able to look at?

Thanks.

Matt
Forefront Productions

I know this isn't much help but there was a guy who was known as the 16bl guy and he stockpiled parts. I just can't remember his name. I'll see if I can track him down.

#3 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

ask at www.tobincinemasystems.com.
Clive Tobin has created an excellent motor unit for the 16BL. I am a proud owner.

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

Where can i find a moter for this camera?

The BL motor isn't easily changeable like on the 16S and 35 II series. But this may be some little electric connection thing, not an expensive replace the motor problem. IIRC, the 16BL has a buckle trip switch, have you checked that? The best guy to go to is Tim Carroll in Chicago. He started out specializing in Arri 16S, but knows plenty about the whole Arri line now. He posts here, and you can check out his web site:

Arri16S.com

-- J.S.

#5 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:38 AM

Matt,

There was never a service manual made for the Arriflex 16BL. None that I have seen anyway, and I've seen most of them.

If you are getting nothing when you plug in the fully charged battery, it could be one of many things. My first thought is to bring it back to where you purchased it and have them repair it. It could be something as simple as a broken wire, or as costly as a dead motor. You did not mention, is it a stock 16BL, or one with a Tobin conversion (the big black Tobin plate on the back with the crystal sync settings), or is it one with one of the other crystal motor units attached?

If you can't get the person you bought it from to make it right, then I would suggest sending it to Axel Broda. He is the expert on all things ARRI and the one who trained me. I am not as up to speed on the 16BL as he is, and he has access to many more parts for that camera than I do. But be aware, it might be costly.

Good luck.

Best,
-Tim

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Tai Audio

Opal

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC