Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Hi all,

I am sure this is just silly, but then most things in editing are - until you figure them out. I want to drop the 30p footage (5D) into a 25fps timeline, and keep all the frames - which should mean a 20% slowdown. I get jumpy footage, and when I have filmed a 10 second sequence of a stop watch, it stays 10 seconds in length. A dialog box pops up when I drop the footage in: "conform timeline to clip?" - and when I say "no" it seems to convert the footage instead.

Could anyone tell me how I drop the footage in and use my 30p footage at 25fps - with a slight slow motion effect?

Thanks for any help,

Kristian

#2 Ed Moore

Ed Moore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

Could anyone tell me how I drop the footage in and use my 30p footage at 25fps - with a slight slow motion effect?

Don't quote me, but I have a feeling this has something to do with the Film Tools app that installs along with FCP. Something to do with changing a setting in the QuickTime file itself that tags it as being an offspeed clip.

#3 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Ed,

Any idea how to remove this tag?

Kristian

Don't quote me, but I have a feeling this has something to do with the Film Tools app that installs along with FCP. Something to do with changing a setting in the QuickTime file itself that tags it as being an offspeed clip.

#4 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:07 PM

Any takers on this? It seems like there should be a simple fix, but I donĀ“t get it...

#5 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

not an editor but I'd try exporting the frames as an image sequence then reimporting them - yes/no ??

prob a much easier way, but hey ...

#6 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:16 AM

Open up Apples "Cinema Tools" App.
Get rid of the project dialogue box. From the file menu choose "Batch conform". Select a file in the folder where your 5D2 movs are.
Choose conform to 25fps and click OK. Let it run, it will slow down every clip to 25 fps. (You will find the files in a newly created "conformed" folder).
If you want/must convert the files to a specific codec i recommend mpeg streamclip.
Open Final Cut and import the footage. When the clip is in the timeline speed it up to 120% and turn on the frame blending.
This workflow does it for me. For higher quality stuff i'd first do a motion vector conversion in After Effects before editing in Final Cut.
But for 90% the other thing does it well.

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Opal

CineLab