#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

Suggestions and input please. Also a timeline and sequence suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks-B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 06 May 2009 - 01:45 AM.

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

Usually a job for an up and coming UPM, put an add on Mandy.com. You'll get replies.

R,

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

Usually a job for an up and coming UPM, put an add on Mandy.com. You'll get replies.

R,

No doubt and I 'll take a look at that for sure, but in all honesty, even so, I'd like to learn to do this myself if for no other reason than to be able to check up on other people's work and know whether they've made a mistake or not, plus one of the reasons I'm doing this is I'm putting together an investment memorandum and I want to make sure it's correct as well as for my own information. HOWEVER once we get into pre, we WILL have a UPM onboard, in fact, one of our goals is to surround ourselves with the best people we can find. Like my dad always says, "You don't have to be brilliant, you just have to surround yourself with brilliance." :D

#4 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:00 PM

Suggestions and input please. Also a timeline and sequence suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks-B)

Always make sure there isn't a parade the day of your shoot.

I laughed when my one prof. in college said this, and then made the mistake on my first feature...

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Always make sure there isn't a parade the day of your shoot.

I laughed when my one prof. in college said this, and then made the mistake on my first feature...

:lol: You have GOT to be kidding!! I mean what are the odds?

#6 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

:lol: You have GOT to be kidding!! I mean what are the odds?

Well, in my defense, it wasn't actually a parade, it was the annual 5k run-walk for breast cancer. But it did completely surround my location, making it impossible for my cast to get there...

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:10 AM

I guess the moral of that story is ALWAYS expect the unexpected and plan for the unforeseen!! Thanks for that great and most humorous advice. B)

#8 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hey Cap'n,

Have you seen the "Independent Filmmaker's Manual" published by ifp/LA?

It's a step-by-step manual for a Line Producer with a ton of information including the actual budget for "Swingers".

Independent Filmmaker's Manual

Hal

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

Hey Cap'n,

Have you seen the "Independent Filmmaker's Manual" published by ifp/LA?

It's a step-by-step manual for a Line Producer with a ton of information including the actual budget for "Swingers".

Independent Filmmaker's Manual

Hal

Admiral, how are you sir? FUNNY you should mention this book, I JUST came across it in a Google search during some of my research with Mr. Harney 2 days ago and found a LOT of very good information there even in the limited Google book search form that came up and the few passages that were there did help with a few question and gave us some invaluable facts we really needed. This is DEFINITELY a book I intend to buy at some point. As always, your advice is right on the money my friend and I really appreciate it. Do you know if the Swingers budget included in the book is a line item budget? B)

#10 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

Admiral, how are you sir?..........GOOD...........MAKING MONEY HAND OVER FIST WITH THE DAY BUSINESS............. RECESSION?............I DON'T SEE NO STINKIN' RECESSION! (Thank God!)............ Do you know if the Swingers budget included in the book is a line item budget? B)

Hi again Cap'n,

Most assuredly! The "Swingers" line item budget (broken down by locations no less) with General Ledger coding plus a couple of samples plus a blank Paramount line item budget. There are all sorts of checklists, forms, contracts, etc. in the book. There's also a CDROM included that has the forms and checklists in Adobe Acrobat form which if you have one of the purchased versions of Acrobat (not Reader) can be saved, not just printed. I suspect if you have Acrobat Professional they could be converted into forms with hot zones that could be filled out on a computer, then printed.

Admiral Halsey

#11 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:17 AM

Admiral, how are you sir?..........GOOD...........MAKING MONEY HAND OVER FIST WITH THE DAY BUSINESS............. RECESSION?............I DON'T SEE NO STINKIN' RECESSION! (Thank God!)............

GREAT I'll send you a copy of the business memorandum and investment proposal package right away so you can put your money in something solid before it hits you!!!!................................. (just kidding) :rolleyes: Seriously, though, I'm very glad things are going so well, my friend and again, thanks for the info. I'll try and pick this book up as soon as I have a few extra bucks to spare.- Capt. Video

#12 Tyler Leisher

Tyler Leisher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Director
  • El Segundo, CA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:08 AM

Another great book:
The Complete Film Production Handbook

In fact, in that book they have a specific area for "Pre Production Checklist," It's a UPMs dream book.

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC