Photo

Beautiful Locations in the LA and So Cal area?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

Hey guys,

A couple of friends and I are going to be traveling around the So Cal area this weekend with an Arri 35-III shooting some exteriors for stock tests. We will have around 4000ft to roll hopefully.

I just wondered if anyone knows of any really beautiful places they can recommend to get some awe inspiring shots.

Waterscapes? Mountain ranges? Landscapes? Bridges? Valleys? Anything and everything really.

We're doing this for experience and for educational purposes.

If anyone can let me know any spots on certain roads around the area that would be fantastic.

Cheers guys,

Jamie

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

You could take the Harbor freeway South to San Pedro. There's a big green suspension bridge over the harbor, lots of shipping type stuff to see. On 6th. near Pacific there's the old (1929) Warner Grand theater, and some restored old business bldgs. Then take Gaffey to the ocean, shoot a sunset. Look up the Korean Friendship Bell, it's on a hill in a park overlooking the ocean. There's also the Lane Victory WWII museum ship.

Another idea -- check the area out using Google Earth and its Street View feature.

-- J.S.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

You could take highway 2 north of La Canada. It's an older road that goes through the mountains. In the first part of the drive there are some nice views of the whole city on down to Catalina Island on a clear day.

If it's on the hazy side, shooting sunset over downtown from east LA is usually worth it. All that haze and smog gives a pretty colorful sunset. Be careful and watch your back though, east LA has some sketchy spots.

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

5th and Spring? :huh:

#5 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

5th and Spring? :huh:

Awesome. What's up there?

#6 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

Be careful and watch your back though, east LA has some sketchy spots.

Hey! Yer talkin bout my neighborhood!

I think you're talking about the Elysian Park area, right Chris? That's great spot to get those "sunset over downtown LA" shots. It's near Dodger Stadium. Drive around the hills to find a good vantage point. Stay clear of gang activities though (like Chris said).

The LA River near downtown has those iconic bridges. If you want to get out of town a bit some of my favorite landscapes are Death Valley and Anza-Borrega. Stunning desert landscapes that are unique. Drive up (or down) Highway 1 for the seascapes. If you head up 395 from Mojave there are amazing vistas too.

Have fun- I know you will!

Bruce Taylor
www.indi35.com

#7 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

Mt. Wilson for the more geeky kind of beauty

Hal (native Californian) Smith

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

Mt. Wilson for the more geeky kind of beauty

Hal (native Californian) Smith

Yup. See here.

By the way, there's a "Best of Towercam" link on that page that is well worth clicking on. It shows all the stuff you can capture when you have a camera going 24/7.

#9 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

The LA River near downtown has those iconic bridges.

I pulled focus on a Red Hot Chili Peppers video in the riverbed coincidentally called "Under the Bridge." It's also where they shot the race in the movie "Grease." Other overshot places are Malibu pier, PCH, Zuma, Griffith Park, the Hollywood sign, Randy's Donuts, Pinks, Highway 1, Vaquez Rocks, Silver Lake, Echo Park lake, Dodger Stadium, Morro Bay, Downtown LA, Beverly Hills, Mann's Theater.

#10 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:32 AM

Mulholland Drive, from Cahuenga all the way to Sepulveda. Then Mulholland Highway from Topanga all the way to the ocean. If you're brave you can take the same road-- the link between the two is dirt.

Then Pacific Coast Highway from Mulholland to Oxnard.

Or, since the Jacarandas are blooming now, if you want the city, drive into Pasadena, then up and around and onto 2, as someone else said. Take 2 way into the mountains, all the way to Wrightwood.

All of this scenery is standard California aridity-- but nice. If you want lots of trees you have to go farther, but there are some nice forests up 2.

Might be hot this weekend. But clear.

#11 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:40 AM

Oh, and BTW, if you pull out that big camera in public around people, you might get busted. They won't arrest you, just tell you to stop. So tell them it's a student film, or that you're gathering news for British TV-- that's protected speech in the USA. Handheld cameras get no hassle, in most towns, but every local city has its rules-- a tripod is usually asking for trouble if you hang around too long. But the routes I gave above are really nice and quiet.

#12 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

A friend of mine lives up in the hills on Grand View Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90046 I can't post a link from Google for some reason, but just plug that address in and you'll find it. There are great views of downtown, Hollywood Blvd, straight down La Cienega, and Century City. And on clear days you can see Catalina and the mountains to the east. His house has all these views at once, but I think if you head up there you'll be able to find spots off the road to get shots in most directions, though not all from one spot. It's a particularly great view at night in my opinion. I'm sure there are other spots that offer very similar views. Maybe off Mulhulland? This just happens to be a spot that I know.
Sounds like fun.

#13 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

Yup. See here.

By the way, there's a "Best of Towercam" link on that page that is well worth clicking on. It shows all the stuff you can capture when you have a camera going 24/7.

Nice link, thanks!

(I downloaded the photo at magic hour this evening looking north towards the San Gabriels with the 100" Observatory in forground. Beautiful photo, it's now the screen saver on my netbook.)

#14 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:43 PM

There are so many gorgeous places to film in So Cal, from the Salton Sea, Joshua Tree, the coast and harbors and piers around San Diego & LA to (the currently burning) Santa Barbara area, Morro Bay up north, the San Gabriel mountains, the (not so) Sierra Nevada, etc, etc, etc . . .

If you are filming in LA proper though, you should be aware of the following leaflet _though I believe that you can now call "the boys in blue" ahead of time to give them the heads up, and potentially avoid arrest. Can you imagine explaining to a copper that your shot is indeed of "esthetic" (sic) value, despite its "odd camera angle"?

Posted Image

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 07 May 2009 - 11:47 PM.

#15 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:52 AM

Awesome. I doubt we will be able to go to all of these places but we've arranged to go to a couple so thanks!

I just got back from running around on Hollywood Blvd at the Highland Centre with the 35-III at 11pm.

We got some awesome shots of the general hustle and bustle, hand held was interesting.

The shots of the mountains and then the grimey hollywood scene should give our little selection of shots some nice contrast.

We shot on the new 250D today and then shot the 5219 for hollywood. Pushing the 19 a stop should bring out the real grainy and grimey look of the hollywood by night scenes.

Just thought I would let you guys know what we've been doing. Thanks for your help

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Opal

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

CineLab

CineTape