David Cronin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Electrician
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hello All,
Recently I got my hands on a Seconic Prodigi c-500 color meter to use for a couple days from a friend. I noticed that my readings seemed to be rather inaccurate. I have never worked with a color meter before but I found the expensive little bugger to give me a variety of different readings for .5ctb tungsten fresnel between 3700 and 4200. The voltage was on the nose and the unit was in the low range of color temp, which shocked me to see a 500 k. shift between measurements. Are color temp meters really worth it or do I just need to change my batteries, or maybe my job. :(

Your thoughts:

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

Probably just needs to be calibrated. There are some independent meter calibration companies, but you could get in touch with Sekonic and find out what they think.

Minolta, although they're not making them anymore, are kind of the standard when it comes to color temp meters. A new company has since taken over their manufacturing and is releasing their light and color temp meters under a different name...not sure how great they are though.

#3 Richard Andrewski

Richard Andrewski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Shenzhen, China

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

The Minolta Color Meter III is now being manufactured by Kenko and is known as the KCM-3100. I have one and thought it was one of the best after some research on the subject.

For sure, you want a color meter that has RGB capability otherwise, it won't read discharge sources like fluorescent and HMI and even LEDs correctly. For those simulated full spectrum or non-full spectrum sources, you need a meter that can separate out color temperature and green/magenta axis to be even close to accurate.

That being said, you're source was a tungsten which is full spectrum and should have read right or very close each time even with a non-RGB (red blue) type meter.

The Sekonic is supposed to be a pretty good one and even is an RGB, so I agree with Jonathan, that particular one has an issue.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Visual Products