anthony le grand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Director
  • france

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hello,

I have the opportunity to get 2 Rollei S8 cameras but never heard anything of them. I shoot medium format photography and Rollei is for me synonym of the best quality but how good are cameras like the "movie 6" or the "XL12"?? And most important, how are their lenses?

The first one has a vario 1.7 so I guess it's good..

Thanks for your help!

#2 Marc Guerriero

Marc Guerriero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:44 AM

Hello,

I have the opportunity to get 2 Rollei S8 cameras but never heard anything of them. I shoot medium format photography and Rollei is for me synonym of the best quality but how good are cameras like the "movie 6" or the "XL12"?? And most important, how are their lenses?

The first one has a vario 1.7 so I guess it's good..

Thanks for your help!

The later Rollei cameras like the Movie 6 were made by Cosina which are still good quality. The movie 6 uses an nice sharp Rollei lens. The earlier Rolleis with numbers like "84" were made by Rollei themselves. In terms of Cosina, the reputation is pretty good in that their electric motors don't die as quickly due to heavy use as you would usually find with other super 8 cameras in their price range.

#3 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

The later Rollei cameras like the Movie 6 were made by Cosina which are still good quality. The movie 6 uses an nice sharp Rollei lens. The earlier Rolleis with numbers like "84" were made by Rollei themselves. In terms of Cosina, the reputation is pretty good in that their electric motors don't die as quickly due to heavy use as you would usually find with other super 8 cameras in their price range.

I agree the movie 6 does produce nice images, later dark brown rolleis the one with the 8 and 12 times zoom did suffer on the QC side, understand the rollei 12 is somewhat rare..

#4 anthony le grand

anthony le grand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Director
  • france

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for your answers.

How do their lenses compare with lenses like the Beaulieu's Angenieux, Schneider optivaron or the Canon's ?
Are they in the same range of quality?

#5 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

I think the better Rollei cameras were made by Bauer ( the SL series?). They are good, but they are not Rollei-- not on the same level as their still cameras at all... it's what they used to call 'badge engineering.' They never sold very well either. Too overpriced.

Grab them if they're a good price-- like $30 or so. I think the Bauer ones came with Schneider lenses....

Edited by Jim Carlile, 13 May 2009 - 09:49 PM.

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Tai Audio