Photo

Canon EOS 5D Mark II used to film upcoming Harry Potter and Iron Man movies?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:36 AM

Read all about it!
Quick, where's that old script of mine :lol:

#2 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

Maybe for little cutaways or for a specific look in a scene......but my brain refuses to accept that they would actually shoot the whole thing with this camera.....

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

Could be they were using them as some form of reference camera to do a quick on set grade, and just got it pannavised to look cooler (and cause they could afford it). I too doubt they'd really shoot too much on the camera, maybe some still image plate shots, and just wanted to use the same lenses? Dunno, though.

#4 Rajavel Olhiveeran

Rajavel Olhiveeran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • India

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

hi all
if the oscar winner ..slumdog millionare....managed couple of scenes on this camera....then anything is possible.....
when did the format ever matter to communicate emotions.......in story telling......
cheers...

#5 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

Hi Rajavel,

What format you shoot on is totally dependent on the story and as emotion is a vital ingredient in a story, I would go as far as to say that it is important.
In relation to Slumdog....unfortunately I can't comment as I'm one of the very few that hasn't seen it yet.

But somehow I can't think that either Harry Potter or Iron Man will shoot the whole film on the Canon 5d MrkII.
The banding problems and endless dof would just be a nightmare to deal with in these scenarios.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11936 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

Banding problems yes, because of the h.264 compression. Endless depth of field, um, no, it's a vistavision-sized chip.

But otherwise no obviously not.

P

#7 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

It's likely they're being used for reference photography - camera, lighting, vfx, continuity, etc. And even then they'll be being used as still cameras, not motion picture cameras.

Still rather amusing nevertheless.

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

hi all
if the oscar winner ..slumdog millionare....managed couple of scenes on this camera....then anything is possible.....
when did the format ever matter to communicate emotions.......in story telling......
cheers...

Harry Potter and Iron man don't have the constraints on shooting in certain areas that Slumdog had. They wont use a substandard tool when they have access to the best there is.

#9 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

Read all about it!

That link times out. What did it actually say? (Not that we should place much credence in a rumor from someone who can't even keep a web site up....)

-- J.S.

#10 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

The 5D2 was not used on Slumdog. It wasn't even out yet. I believe they used a 1D Mark III, for some undercranked shots.

The only reason to use the 5D2 on Iron Man or Potter would be for extreme low-light shots. The 5D2 has remarkable ISO/ASA sensitivity. With super-fast lenses, you can practically shoot in the dark.

Or maybe if they needed tiny cams for cramped angles in a car or something.

Edited by Tom Lowe, 14 May 2009 - 01:32 PM.

#11 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

Unless they've hacked the clock, they'll have to use it strictly for MOS. There's no way a major feature would tolerate the half assed 30 to 24 conversions that are available.

-- J.S.

#12 Rajavel Olhiveeran

Rajavel Olhiveeran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • India

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

The 5D2 was not used on Slumdog. It wasn't even out yet. I believe they used a 1D Mark III, for some undercranked shots.

The only reason to use the 5D2 on Iron Man or Potter would be for extreme low-light shots. The 5D2 has remarkable ISO/ASA sensitivity. With super-fast lenses, you can practically shoot in the dark.

Or maybe if they needed tiny cams for cramped angles in a car or something.

Ya Tom...it was Canon
EOS-D1 Mark III stills camera,
which can shoot bursts of up to 30
RAW images per second........and not 5D2

#13 Rajavel Olhiveeran

Rajavel Olhiveeran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • India

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hi Rajavel,

What format you shoot on is totally dependent on the story and as emotion is a vital ingredient in a story, I would go as far as to say that it is important.
In relation to Slumdog....unfortunately I can't comment as I'm one of the very few that hasn't seen it yet.

But somehow I can't think that either Harry Potter or Iron Man will shoot the whole film on the Canon 5d MrkII.
The banding problems and endless dof would just be a nightmare to deal with in these scenarios.

You are absolutely right.....what i meant was that if that film...harry potter.....requires an effect that could be satisfied by the 5D..then they might use it right......
but as u said i doubt they using it for the entire film....must be rumor....
thanks

#14 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

Unless they've hacked the clock, they'll have to use it strictly for MOS. There's no way a major feature would tolerate the half assed 30 to 24 conversions that are available.

John, the rumor is that Iron Man, for example, has 5D2 with new firmware that allows 24p shooting. Perhaps some other upgrades as well. Certainly this would provide Canon with some serious bragging rights if it all works out.

#15 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

That link times out. What did it actually say? (Not that we should place much credence in a rumor from someone who can't even keep a web site up....)

-- J.S.

Actually, they were rumours posted on blogs, so there MUST be something to it:-)

I had no trouble just now. If it still doesn't work, try directly pasting the link below into your address bar.

http://asia.cnet.com...on-man-movies-/

#16 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

Banding problems yes, because of the h.264 compression. Endless depth of field, um, no, it's a vistavision-sized chip.

But otherwise no obviously not.

P

Mr RHODES!!
This perverse fixation with shallow depth of field is the ONLY thing stopping all these enthusiastic and passionate young men from smashing down the doors of Hollywood and invoking a major, MAJOR, Paradigm Shift in the entire putrid, malodorous, moribund, corrupt, incestuous, perverted and OBSCENE system that currently governs what bloated faceless overfed multinational morally and culturally bankrupt plutocrats condescend of allow us to glimpse in the overpriced flea pits pustulating out of every shopping centre these days.

#17 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

Read all about it!

The blog stated that Panavision lenses were mounted to the 5d. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll cover the vistavision sized chip in the camera:) But who knows? Maybe they made some special ones...

#18 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

The blog stated that Panavision lenses were mounted to the 5d. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll cover the vistavision sized chip in the camera:) But who knows? Maybe they made some special ones...

I was just wondering if what they really saw was some sort of digital director's viewfinder. Unless they were fully familiar with 35mm movie production, a casual observer probably would have no idea what that is for.

#19 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:49 AM

hi all
cheers...

I don't care what it was shot on; it looked like SH**.

The 5D though, I have to say, looked quite decent.

As far as winning a best cinematography award on Slumdog Millionaire, honestly, chalk it up to bleeding-heart liberals trying to appear pantheistic and awarding the best cinematography award to the best low-budget motion picture as some sort of consolation prize.

butts. . .

#20 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:57 AM

Ya Tom...it was Canon
EOS-D1 Mark III stills camera,
which can shoot bursts of up to 30
RAW images per second........and not 5D2

Hi Rajavel,

Actually, the Canon 1D Mark III can shoot only approx 10fps. The 30 frames you refer to are the number of RAW frames the camera can store in its buffer before it has to stop shooting.

-Fran

CineTape

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets