Stephen Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hi,
thought i'd share a few stills from a short film i shot on my S16 NPR, I don't think id have managed to ever shoot s16 if it wasn't for all the help i've had off this forum.

It was a self funded project, we shot on EXR100t, vision 200t and eterna 250D (all cheap off ebay)

Telecine was best light to DVcam, these are pulled straight off without any post work.

Posted Image 250D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think the older stocks looked alot nicer than the newer fuji.

The lens was an angenieux 10-150mm, i'm pretty happy with how its all come out. I mainly used lowel omnis and tota for fill, with muslin and a 2k to simulate sun light in a couple of shots. Hopefully i ahcieved a natural look?

Any critiques on the lighting is welcome, i'm still learning.... One thing i see is that some sort of dulling spray would have been useful on the lightswitch in the second still.

thanks for looking

Edited by Stephen Smith, 14 May 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#2 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

great looking shots! i think you could go anywhere with it in post because the colors look neutral. that lightswitch will be fairly easily fixed with a matte since it's square. i really didn't notice the lighting at all, which is obviously good - it looks natural.

#3 Steven Wyatt

Steven Wyatt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • West Yorkshire, UK

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:07 AM

Hi Stephen!

Some nice stills there can't wait to see the film! Do you think you'll be uploading it online? Do you have any more projects in the pipeline?

Regards,
Steve

#4 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

I like the lighting in the bathroom shot. What was your reasoning behind leaving your focus on the shoulder of the girl rather than her face in the mirror? Also I see your tag for the shot that used the 250D but can you tell us which pics are from which stock.

#5 Stephen Smith

Stephen Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

thanks for the feedback

The film will eventually be uploaded on the net, at the moment we're still doing a lot of editing, hoping to enter it into a few festivals and see what happens, although if we get a trailer uploaded i'll be sure to put a link to it.

I like the lighting in the bathroom shot. What was your reasoning behind leaving your focus on the shoulder of the girl rather than her face in the mirror? Also I see your tag for the shot that used the 250D but can you tell us which pics are from which stock.

It's probably not the best still for me to have chosen from that scene, the focus changes, as in the scene she moves closer toward the mirror then further away, it was sort of improvised acting so there weren't really focus marks. It's supposedly after drinking alot of wine so i guess in a way it is a reflection of how she is seeing herself at the time. I'd actually planned for it to have a slight yellow tint, using 1/4 CTS gel but the lab ignored the instructions (i think it actually turned out nicer as they have done it, looks alot more sterile)

I tried to tag all of the stills with the stock but it wouldn't allow me to edit the post again.
1st still is 250D eterna
2nd 100EXR
3rd & 4th vision 200T

We tried to work the mix of stocks into the storyline, with the idea of graininess increasing as the story unfolds, and becomes more hectic. I'm not entirely sure if it's worked out like that yet, I was expecting quite a step change between the older stocks, possibly there is and i'm just not used to using film enough to notice yet.

Thanks

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS