Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

Hey,

Where do all of you guys by your pants and shoes from? I'm starting the steadicam course on Monday and need some new footwear in order to be comfortable for the whole week.

What do you guys recommend? Where to buy?

I've always wondered where people buy those pants with all the pockets on? They look so comfortable.

Cheers,

Jamie

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

REI is a good place for durable and comfortable clothes. And I'd recommend Merrell's for shoes. Insoles are good too.
Good luck with the workshop!

#3 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

Being the fashion victim/punk that I am, I have a tendency to show up on set in skinny jeans and skate shoes...which actually isn't as impractical as it sounds...you can just roll your pants up if it gets hot and go for the hipster/bike messenger look. :P It's a little better than that zip-off crap, which gets old once you lose one leg. (Yes, this happened)

Merrells are AMAZING but if anything, for this time of year I'd recommend the trail running shoes or something of a similar weight. In my experience, their boots suck....they're cut weird at the ankle and they're too clunky. But their running shoes are awesome, especially the ones with bungees instead of shoelaces.

You can never have too many hoodies. I have 14. And vests are good too.

I know it's not a fashion show but FWIW, I feel like people pay attention to me more/talk to me more/think I'm cool when I look nicer and more stylish on set...but then again, I'm pretty small and if I stuck to the tried and true outdoor apparel staples, I'd be resigned to kids' sizes and thus, I would just look like a nerdy little boy with an AC tool belt. "Hey ther! Aren't ya a little young ta be on set? Whatcha doin? Checkin the gate? Did yer dad teach ya how to do that? Don't ya have school?"

You probably have more options than me. Good luck and please don't buy gross brown boots like everyone else.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:19 AM

I also tend to be a bit too trendy for my own good when it comes to on set clothing. But over the years I have learned to stick with Dickies and Carhart for clothing (among a few others) and some lighter models of Red Wing Shoes (and the occasional trendy sneakers -which, as I said, have proven to be a liability at times) for on set work. I doubt you'll find these particular brands on your side of the pond, thought they may ship internationally if you order online. Sizes will differ, and you can't try them on, so I doubt this is even a reasonable option for you.

Sportsman's (hunting, etc) retail stores will carry a lot of tried-and-true / comfy-and-tough garment and shoe items.

Once, when I was assisting, I was told by a DP to have two or three comfy shoes in the roster and rotate them daily (using one pair each day), instead of using the same pair of comfy shoes every day for a week. He found that to be the best way to keep his feet happy for the long hours we logged each day. I have found this technique to be very satisfying personally.

And I know an assistant who keeps two pairs of shoes with her on set. When her feet get tired (around 8 hrs in) she changes to the other pair.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 19 May 2009 - 12:21 AM.

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Abel Cine

CineTape

Wooden Camera

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post