Basics.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joshua Powless

Joshua Powless
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

I'm shooting a short, with the HVX200 and I've been lurking around cinematography.com and I have ran across some stills that are pretty impressive with no noise, hitting the pure blacks and pure whites & Mids; anyhow what I would like anyone's help on is how to grasp getting a proper light reading from an incandescent light meter and choosing an fstop/tstop & a walk through on how to do that.

My understanding so far, is to set the ISO/ASA and FPS and then it gives me a foot candle reading, and an fstop reading. so now that I have these numbers how do i use them, I'm a really hands on person so this is hard for me to all understand I apologize. & i guess the next thing id like to know is how to be creative with light.

I've read Blain Browns books, and pieces of the light technicians hand book.

the following is going to come off most likely scattered brained: but with good intentions to learn.
Im not sure if im thinking about this to hard but how exactly does the iris, shutter speed, ASA/ISO, frames per second and optics and everything coral ate to one another in making choices as a DoP.

anyways i hope this opens up for a discussion all help is appreciated

#2 Ryan Thomas

Ryan Thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Grip
  • San Francisco

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

I wouldn't really rely on your light meter at all if you're shooting digitally. Too many things happen in camera (gamma curves, black pedestal, your knee setting) and there really isn't an accurate ISO that you can set for the HVX. Basically your readings just sort of end up inaccurate.

Learn how to read a waveform monitor though and you'll have no troubles getting a nice black and good highlights. It's definitely the way to go.

Edited by Ryan Thomas, 17 May 2009 - 09:40 AM.

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC