#1 Richard Vialet

Richard Vialet
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

I've searched the archives alot and found some helpful tips on lighting for the "white void" look on a cyc set. But I've got a new music video project where I'm shooting a 4-man group performing on a platform in the void to a crowd slightly below them. And the director wants the performance to feature alot of grand sweeping shots with a Jimmy Jib/remote head.

I'd love some tips on how to key the performers while using this Jib, which might cause shadows. One thing I was thinking was creating a large/soft side key (some units punched through a 12x?) that would wrap around fairly well on them and shouldn't be a problem with creating shadows with the Jib or on the background. Should I add backlight to backlight them and the crowd? I am about to go and scout the stage now to find out more specifics but I think we'll have 4 6K spacelights to light the cyc but the largest other lights would be a few Baby 5K's and some 12-light and 9-light FAY's.

*Does this large side key seem like a good idea? The Space lights should definitely be sufficient for filling in everything else right? And what about the background? Would be Spacelights be sufficient for getting a good even white? *Sorry I'm not sure yet how big the space is that we're shooting in. I know that will definitely effect everything.

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

SpaceLights are great.. you may want to consider Lighting Talent from overhead.. over camera actually.. then adding Backlight/ Kickers.

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

The Slider

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine