Thomas Hyttel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience or some tricks on how to shoot a sequence which starts where it ends so that it can be made into a loop?
We're going to film a 10 min film in one take to be shown in a gallery space (as a loop) - so we need to make a smooth transition between the last frame and the first frame :S -
The camera is on a small lift that moves.

Thanks in advance, :)
Thomas

#2 Russell Richard Fowler

Russell Richard Fowler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Miami, Florida

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

I have set up exhibits with endless 16mm loops for an English artist. Repetitive images make easy cut points (example clip, repetitve flashing light on a lighthouse) or a pan into a dark point ( example one loop is a restaurant and the camera follows a food server going through a kitchen door /cut/ and coming out the same door with a food tray)or fast fade (12 frame) is acceptable. Her loops ran 3 to 40 minutes. The attention span of the majority of people will not notice a cut point...

I set up a video loop last evening for a festival; watching the 1000's potential eyeballs that evening, they zoned in and out after viewing 15 seconds of the 20 foot image from a 5 minute DVD loop.

Edited by Russell Richard Fowler, 21 May 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#3 Thomas Hyttel

Thomas Hyttel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:13 AM

Sounds great :)
In my case there aren’t any darks spots etc. - Were filming tree different actions in a park - first a man and a boy doing a dictation - then a conversation between two men about a project, and finally a woman from a balcony who talks to her son (on a bicycle in the park). And then the camera returns to the man and the boy.

The beginning and end of the shot has to be identical so that the intersection between beginning/end can't be noticed when you loop it :)

#4 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:13 AM

The beginning and end of the shot has to be identical so that the intersection between beginning/end can't be noticed when you loop it :)

i've made tons of loops for multimedia projections. if you have anything with design or actors in the frame, it is very tough to match the end points and make a seamless loop. there are tons of tricks, though. i would try to do something like:

- start/end with a fast pan or camera move
- start/end out of focus
- start/end with a shot of a wall, the ground or any other solid-color surface.
- start/end with somebody's back filling up the whole screen (ala hitchcock's "rope")

also, if you're editing digitally, a slight dissolve will help make it totally seamless.

hope that helps!

Edited by Jason Hinkle, 28 May 2009 - 03:17 AM.

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape