Photo

how to make give a blue look to the film?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Moreton

Phil Moreton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hi all, this is my first post here. Whey!
I just wanted some tips and expertise on how to create a certain aesthetic look.
I have a short film coming up which i will be shooting on S16, and probably using Fuji 500T for the night scenes and 160T for a small set build.

Myself and the director want a bluish look to the film, especially at night. I wanted to know what would be the best way to achieve this look??

I have a link of the feel i want to achieve: Bluish look

Can i achieve it through certain filters? Or would this take away my whites completly?
Could i achieve it with using just HMI's with my tungsten film stock?
Should i gel up my lights (HMI)?
Or is this a post production job?

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Many Thanks,

Phil.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

An ungelled HMI on tungsten stock looks like Full Blue (CTB) gel on a tungsten light, plenty of blue for you, especially when underexposed for a moonlight look or for fill light.

You can also use daylight Kinos.

Just make sure to shoot a grey scale under a white tungsten light at the head of the first roll so they don't time out the blue in dailies.

The look in that clip is pretty much that 1980's uncorrected HMI look, mixed with a few warmer tungsten spots, and perhaps some blue-green Cool White fluorescents.

#3 Phil Moreton

Phil Moreton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:50 AM

An ungelled HMI on tungsten stock looks like Full Blue (CTB) gel on a tungsten light, plenty of blue for you, especially when underexposed for a moonlight look or for fill light.

You can also use daylight Kinos.

Just make sure to shoot a grey scale under a white tungsten light at the head of the first roll so they don't time out the blue in dailies.

The look in that clip is pretty much that 1980's uncorrected HMI look, mixed with a few warmer tungsten spots, and perhaps some blue-green Cool White fluorescents.

Hi David,
Just wanted to say many thanks for your reply.
I have some more questions which would be great if you had the time to have a look through.
I have a set build for this project too, and i'll post a seperate topic for it.

Cheers,
Phil

#4 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

I was on a shoot where the DP just shot a HMI (not sure the wattage) at an ultrabounce on a butterfly over the set while shooting tungsten film. Here's the link to his post here, http://www.cinematog...showtopic=34139. Scroll down to see pictures of the lighting.

That is really the easiest way to achieve the look. If you were to gel tungsten lights with CTB you would loose way too much light and really wouldn't be worth it. It's much easier to just use ungelled HMIs on tungsten film.

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam