8 replies to this topic

#1 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

I'm currently researching films that deal with ex-cons gaining employment after serving their time in prison. Not documentaries. Must be told in America, dealing with the American system for this process.

It could either be the main plot or a sub-plot.

Any films?

Thanks.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

There are hundreds of movies with an ex-con as the lead, trying to deal with working in the real world outside of prison, perhaps falling back into crime again. It's practically the plot to half the action crime movies out there. Even Rambo was an ex-con. But besides action movies...

I mean, look at "Shawshank Redemption", which has that story issue of what to do after prison release, for the characters played by James Whitmore and Morgan Freeman. Or look at "Heat", and the small story of the getaway driver in the middle of the movie. I think that movie "The Spitfire Grill" (didn't see it) was about a woman who gets out of prison and works at a diner.

"Straight Time" is a famous 70's drama about an ex-con.

Plenty of film noirs deal with an ex-con trying to go straight.

You can do an IMDB search under PLOT using the term "ex-con" but the list is HUGE and is cluttered with TV plotlines.

But at a glance, some titles pop out:
21 Grams, Barbershop, Black Dog, Bustin' Loose, Drop Zone, Carlito's Way, The Fast and the Furious, In Cold Blood, Jackie Brown, The Killing, Kiss of Death, The Limey, Maximum Overdrive, Mystic River, Raising Arizona, The Rock, Smokin Aces, Soul Men, Tough Guys Don't Dance...

Now not all of them have much to do with finding legit work after prison. But "Raising Arizona" is a good one in that list.

Anyway, try searching the IMDB under PLOT using other key words, like ex-criminal or paroled, etc.

#3 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

The Crossing Guard is one of my favorites. It's a good example of what you can do with a good story, good acting and not a lot of money.

#4 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

My mistake. I rushed my post. I wasnt clear enough.

I'm talking about the actual process of gaining employment after prison. Dealing with the social workers and counselors. The offices that deal with helping ex-cons.

All the rejection and unfair uphill battle.

The actual experience of trying to get the job. Not what its like once you already gotten the job.

Again, my mistake for not being clear.

Thanks.

#5 kevin baggott

kevin baggott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Director
  • nyc

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

My mistake. I rushed my post. I wasnt clear enough.

I'm talking about the actual process of gaining employment after prison. Dealing with the social workers and counselors. The offices that deal with helping ex-cons.

All the rejection and unfair uphill battle.

The actual experience of trying to get the job. Not what its like once you already gotten the job.

Again, my mistake for not being clear.

Thanks.

Well as David said I think Straight Time is exactly all about that. Also The Yards. A good doc called Omar and Pete. Well those are the best two off the top of my head esp Straight TIme.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:40 AM

one of the best ones I ever saw was a little film Larry Fishburne starred in called "Always Outnumbered (1998)" . I liked it 'cause it was a simple story with a lot of heart and Larry did a real good job with the character as he always does. I is XACTLY about the subject matter you're talking about. B)

#7 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

Thanks everyone. I've heard of Straight Time but never saw it. I ordered a dvd copy today.

My research has taken the direction of more toward the perspective of those who help find work for the ex-con, not the ex-cons themselves.

#8 Richard Vialet

Richard Vialet
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

The Woodsman with Kevin Bacon and the recent I've Loved You So Long with Kristin Scott Thomas.

#9 Joe Giambrone

Joe Giambrone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

Sherry Baby has some of that.

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Glidecam