#1 Salil Sundresh

Salil Sundresh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:45 AM

So i had a 1k arri lite w/chimmera rigged from some rafters and a hot scrim fell onto the inner diffusion layer of my 24x32 chimera when one of my grips/electrics was adjusting it. So I have 2 holes melted in the middle of one of my chimera diffusion layers. The holes are small enough to be patched by some diffusion from a swatchbook, but I'm not sure how to go about attaching some silk to the diffusion layer without melting glue or possibly burning thread (which might cast shadows as well). Any ideas? Is there a better way of going about this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Salil Sundresh

Salil Sundresh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:41 AM

So i had a 1k arri lite w/chimmera rigged from some rafters and a hot scrim fell onto the inner diffusion layer of my 24x32 chimera when one of my grips/electrics was adjusting it. So I have 2 holes melted in the middle of one of my chimera diffusion layers. The holes are small enough to be patched by some diffusion from a swatchbook, but I'm not sure how to go about attaching some silk to the diffusion layer without melting glue or possibly burning thread (which might cast shadows as well). Any ideas? Is there a better way of going about this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone?

#3 Dean Werner

Dean Werner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

Anyone?

Is the chimera something that looks like a design like tree branches or venitian blinds? Is there anyway that the patchwork could be worked into the design?

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

Is the chimera something that looks like a design like tree branches or venitian blinds? Is there anyway that the patchwork could be worked into the design?

That's not a chimera at all. A chimera is like a tent that goes onto a lamp. It has diffusion and spill control all in one.

Salil, why don't you just get some white nylon thread and stitch the patches in? It really doesn't have to be perfect looking, as long as the diffusion patch covers the hole. The nature of a soft light will make sure that the patch has no effect on the light it puts out.

#5 dan brockett

dan brockett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Producer

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

Salil:

Send it back to Chimera in Boulder, Colorado. I sent my medium Quartz that had two holes burned through it and they repaired it like new for about $120.00.

Dan

#6 Salil Sundresh

Salil Sundresh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:28 AM

Salil:

Send it back to Chimera in Boulder, Colorado. I sent my medium Quartz that had two holes burned through it and they repaired it like new for about $120.00.

Dan

For the inner baffle it would only cost me like $45 to replace.

#7 JB_Letchinger

JB_Letchinger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, California

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

I think Chris gave you your answer. Nylon thread and patch it -- - maybe some scrap silk from a rental house, or tough gridcloth.

Or, try billing the production company for a new one... sh%$#t happens

#8 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

http://www.photoflex...p?cPath=2_18_21

Far cheaper, and pretty much just as good as Chimera baffles.

#9 dan brockett

dan brockett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Producer

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:30 PM

For the inner baffle it would only cost me like $45 to replace.

Gotcha, I didn't read your post closely enough. Yes, I would just replace a burned diffusion baffle, $45.00 is nothing.

Dan

Technodolly

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks