Carol Hicks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

Hi,

Right now I'm living in Toronto and I'm trying to get my my first basic camera kit together. The problem is I can't find what I'm looking for.

An example of a few things I need but can't find are cloth tape, a slate, and a pouch for when I'm on set. I've found a few websites for stores in California but if I don't have to pay for all that shipping I'd rather not.

Does anyone know any Film supply stores in Toronto?

Thanks,
Carol

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

Right now I'm living in Toronto and I'm trying to get my my first basic camera kit together. The problem is I can't find what I'm looking for.

An example of a few things I need but can't find are cloth tape, a slate, and a pouch for when I'm on set. I've found a few websites for stores in California but if I don't have to pay for all that shipping I'd rather not.

Does anyone know any Film supply stores in Toronto?

Thanks,
Carol

Shipping from filmtools.com (they have everything you'll need) is very reasonable and you won't have to pay sales tax. It will probably even out.

#3 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

Shipping from filmtools.com (they have everything you'll need) is very reasonable and you won't have to pay sales tax. It will probably even out.

....yes, if you live in the States. Shipping to Canada is a very different story. It goes through customs, and not only do we pay our GST and PST taxes, we get dinged dearly by UPS with their exorbitant brokerage fees, since filmtools ships UPS Ground to Canada. In most cases, we're out about double what the order total is. That said, there are times when I will really need something from filmtools, but I'll only place that order as a last resort if I can't find that specific item in Toronto.

#4 Ryan McGregor

Ryan McGregor

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:57 AM

modular51.com is where all my ditty bags and many of my accessories are from, they have the best stuff and they are in Vancouver.

#5 Tom Hall

Tom Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

Toronto:

http://www.sourceshop.com/

Louise will hook you up with anything you need. I recommend going in person so you can see what she has. It's just near King and Dufferin, across from Lamport stadium.

#6 DGusset

DGusset

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:08 AM

Equipment rental facilities PS (Production Services) & WFW (William F. White) both sell expendables and some gear right in Toronto.
http://www.psps.com/
http://www.whites.com/

#7 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

An assistant I just worked with had the best set bag I've ever seen. He got it at Lowes for like $15 I think. It was similar to this one but it had a metal handle that swiveled and was large enough for hard mattes. It might be worth having a look before you spend more on a "film" set bag.

#8 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

An assistant I just worked with had the best set bag I've ever seen. He got it at Lowes for like $15 I think. It was similar to this one

It's a carpenters carry-all. Lowe's has about five different sizes of the ones with the swivelling handle. I use one as a catchall behind my driver's seat in my van with my Sirius, gloves, bottle of water, etc. in it. Great design with lots of pockets, snaps, etc.

CineLab

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

CineTape

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport