#1 Lennart Vares

Lennart Vares

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hello. I try to make this short but I'm afraid it will still take a while to explain. This seems like respectable forum so I decided to post my question.

I applied to study film/tv producing in a college. Against my odds I've already made it out of about 110 or more appliantees to top 12. Might well be that I might get chosen. However I'm still doubtful if I actually have made the right move. I would like to ask a few questions to help me decide. I'm 20 and quite soon starting to pretty desperately to look for good higher education.

1) I'm from a small country that hasn't got much money around and hardly any movie industry. On average a producer makes 2000 euros/ month which is nothing and producer jobs are very hard to get indeed. A postal for example makes around 1500-1600/e's per month. Mind you, I live in a city that cuts around top 20 most expentesive city in the world. Do you confirm that this wage seems awfully low? Concidering the job and that it takes 4 years to gratuate. Do they make more money on other countries and are there actually enough jobs available?

2) Can producers "produce" something else than films, docus, tv series etc. Videogame industry certainly need them or do they? Are there any other things producers can do?

3) I really wouldn't want to be a producer who can't participate on the artistic sides of their "product". That's actually my main interest. I'm certainly a'm not a virtuoso with numbers. I find it awful to think that I would produce something that I can't decide of much what it is. Do procuders have much artistic freedom in practice?

Thank you.

#2 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:54 AM

look in the paper or local trade magazine see what kind of jobs for producers are available in your country. also, go try to meet some people in the business. call some companies and introduce yourself and ask your questions. that is what producers do anyway - they call people, make arrangements, make deals, etc.

financially, it is tough to get started in tv or film. it sounds like it may be even harder in your country. if you really want to be a producer, though, you can make it happen. if you love your work, then you will be happy even if you don't make much money.

good luck to you!

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Opal

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

CineTape

The Slider