#1 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

I was looking for a roll of reversal 64T, and came upon their advertised Super 8/80. They list it as:

Super8/80 - ASA 64 Tungsten Reversal E-6: Latitude: 3-stops of fine grain repackaged to include Pro8mm award winning processing. Muted colors more like old VNF ektachrome. Stock need 85B filter to covert to daylight. Best stock for old home movie look.

In my naivete, I was thought "reformatted" meant from another stock. The intent was to try a 64T that was non-Kodak based (they also sell a Fuji-based 64D).

Upon receiving the cartridge, I opened the box, and it's a cartridge of Kodak's 64T...with the Pro8 label over it. I phoned Pro8 to see if I can get it replaced for their 64D Fuji-based stock, but they told me since I opened the box, I'm stuck with it. So much for customer service.

So now I have a roll of Kodak's film, married to Pro8's "award winning" processing.

Live and learn. Bet they'll cut the ends as well.

Image:
http://www.flickr.co...N08/3567020267/

#2 alexandros petin

alexandros petin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Athens Greece

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

what does Kodak say about that?

Is this legal to do?

A sticker over Kodaks product and sell it as another brand?!!!!!???!!!!

ok "reformatted"
they sell stock that is slit from bigger film sizes and then packed in s8 cartridge. is this the case again?
and if thats the case whats the point of reformatting an already available film?

#3 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

what does Kodak say about that?

Is this legal to do?

A sticker over Kodaks product and sell it as another brand?!!!!!???!!!!

ok "reformatted"
they sell stock that is slit from bigger film sizes and then packed in s8 cartridge. is this the case again?
and if thats the case whats the point of reformatting an already available film?

This is not reformatted at all, not like they;re other stocks (which I've used quite a few). It's a 64T cartridge taken from a Kodak box and with a Pro8 sticker placed over it. When I spoke to them, they told me in this case reformatted pertains to the processing aspect of the "package". I told them it was a bit misleading, but they didn't care...too bad for me was their attitude. In their own words "If we goof we'll replace it but if you goof, we don't".

#4 alexandros petin

alexandros petin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Athens Greece

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

so "repackaged"

and that the way they are advertising it

http://www.pro8mm.co...8filmstocks.pdf

"Super8/80 - ASA 64 Tungsten Reversal E-6: Latitude: 3-stops of fine grain repackaged to include Pro8mm award winning processing. Muted colors more like old
VNF ektachrome. Stock need 85B filter to covert to daylight. Best stock for old home movie look."

if you hadn't post this, it could easily mislead me too. They ought to say that it contains Kodak Ektachrome 64T 7280. although with the word "repackaged" the might get away with this.

I will insist to my previous question.whats the deal with kodak? maybe someone could chime in to this one??

WARNING off topic
Btw the "Filmstock review 2008 - in pictures" is amazing.

#5 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

"I will insist to my previous question.whats the deal with kodak? maybe someone could chime in to this one??"
Well, if nothing else whoever reads this won't make the same mistake.

"Btw the "Filmstock review 2008 - in pictures" is amazing. "
Thanks Alexandros! Really appreciate that, and thanks for weighing in!

#6 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

"I will insist to my previous question.whats the deal with kodak? maybe someone could chime in to this one??"
Well, if nothing else whoever reads this won't make the same mistake.

"Btw the "Filmstock review 2008 - in pictures" is amazing. "
Thanks Alexandros! Really appreciate that, and thanks for weighing in!

Sorry you got stuck like that but just wondered if you knew 64D is color negative not reversal so if you wanna try a fuji reversal stock you have to track down velvia.

#7 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:45 AM

Kodak will not care. It's such a small market it wouldn't be worth the cease and desist letter from their attorneys. Pro8mm is already repackaging Kodak film anyway and they generally don't hide the fact that it is Kodak film. I'm sure the few people that manage the Super 8 product line at Kodak are well aware of Pro8mm and what they do. In the end, it's still Kodak film and represents more of a sale for Kodak.

I'm a little surprised that Pro8mm would think a Pro8mm label would have more respect than the Kodak one.

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

The Slider