#1 Dakota Gracey

Dakota Gracey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:01 AM

I am doing a short on regular 16mm that is set in a parking lot at night. The lot is lit by the heavily green tinged (mercury vapor?) overhead lights. I wanted to actually see the strong green cast of the lights outside but wanted the color of other lights i.e. the car dome-light which is tungsten, to look fairly normal. I was wondering which stock and or combination of filters would best create this result.
Thanks

Edited by Dakota Gracey, 27 May 2009 - 12:04 AM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

I am doing a short on regular 16mm that is set in a parking lot at night. The lot is lit by the heavily green tinged (mercury vapor?) overhead lights. I wanted to actually see the strong green cast of the lights outside but wanted the color of other lights i.e. the car dome-light which is tungsten, to look fairly normal. I was wondering which stock and or combination of filters would best create this result.
Thanks

Since you want the mercury vapor / metal halides to render blue-green and the tungsten to be close to normal, any tungsten stock would be fine, probably 500T for the light levels. Shoot your grey scale at the head of the roll under an ungelled tungsten light to provide a neutral reference. 7219 is probably the finest-grained 500T stock.

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

Thanks

Here is a frame grab from some Super 8 7219 I shot. It is a wide shot at night with no filtration. Given the limitations of the format, I think this shows what parking lot light can look like with this stock, just imagine it sharper.
[attachment=5259:parkinglotlight.jpg]

#4 Dakota Gracey

Dakota Gracey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

That should be perfect. Thanks guys!

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc