Josh Mork

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hey all-
I am a moderately inexperienced film guy who just got a job with educational filming and editing. I am wondering what you would recommend for the following objectives.
Our goal is to film and edit together two full-length classes for overseas education at the high school level, so production value is important. The films will be an instructor in front of a green screen giving a lecture. We want to incorporate video, picture-in-picture, and powerpoint into these lectures. We are starting from scratch, but have a decent budget. We will need ALL of the equipment to film and edit these videos.
If anyone could provide a list of everything including computer choice, software, camera, and equipment I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Josh

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

And you have an unlimited budget, so I can suggest a $150,000 Sony F23 camera???

#3 Josh Mork

Josh Mork

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:32 AM

haha, no the budget is actually fairly modest, but is sufficient to get us going. Do you have any recommendations for the above-mentioned set-up?

#4 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:54 AM

Hi Josh,

you need to give us some idea of the numbers! The necessary equipment to do stuff like this is anywhere from a couple of thousand to a couple million depending on budget and quality goals!

Cheers, Dave

#5 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

A tried and true low-mid priced live switch studio/location tape rig is the Canon XLH1. Get three of them and do all the studio live switching in a computer with Canon's live switching software. Then when you need to shoot cine style, you've got up to three cams to cover angles with independent tapes and intercut them on that same computer back at the studio. Or run three locations at the same time for higher production productivity. It's two systems "click", two systems "click", two systems in one (lame Certs with Retsyn reference).

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

Personally i'd suggest the sony EX3 for this situation going out uncompressed to a disk array (FCP station with appropriate capture stuff) for your green screening. I would also say maybe Kino-Flos for lighting, low power, good brightness, generally soft and will give even lighting for your G/s.
my 2 cents.

#7 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

The problem with the Canon XLH1 is that it outputs interlaced video. It does have a frame mode but you are limited to 24f and 30f. What you want is a high definition video camera that is fully progressive and has the capability of shooting up to 60p which is 60 frames per second as well as lower frame rates such as 24p and 30p.

#8 Josh Mork

Josh Mork

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

Thanks man, everything helps.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

The Slider