#1 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

i've seen on the set gaffers tape colors used to signify the type of film loaded into a mag (daylight, tungsten). i was wondering if there are official industry standards for colors of gaffers tape - or is this something you usually just work out based on what color tape is at hand?

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Gaffers Tape is used primarily by the Grip & Electric Depts.... 1 inch Camera Tape is what the Camera Assts. use.

Exposed - BLACK
High Speed - RED
Daylight Balance - BLUE
Tungsten Balance - YELLOW
Black & White - WHITE
Reversal - Any Dayglow Color

#3 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

Gaffers Tape is used primarily by the Grip & Electric Depts.... 1 inch Camera Tape is what the Camera Assts. use.

Exposed - BLACK
High Speed - RED
Daylight Balance - BLUE
Tungsten - YELLOW
Black & White - WHITE
Reversal - Any Dayglow Color

I always used pretty much the same system except I used white tape for enexposed and used the color tapes for labels. It doesn't matter as long as you realize that black is exposed.

#4 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:40 AM

thank you! looks like i will have to figure out what to do with the hot-pink gaffers tape that just showed up from my ebay order, hehe. (was supposed to be orange)

#5 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

:lol:

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

thank you! looks like i will have to figure out what to do with the hot-pink gaffers tape that just showed up from my ebay order, hehe. (was supposed to be orange)

I've got a box full of gaffer/camera tape leftovers I bought from a woman AC. There's a roll of hot pink in it. I think she may have been using it to tape over the mouth of anyone on the set who was sexually inappropriate.

#7 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

I've got a box full of gaffer/camera tape leftovers I bought from a woman AC. There's a roll of hot pink in it. I think she may have been using it to tape over the mouth of anyone on the set who was sexually inappropriate.

:P
I bet on the sets that she worked on, there were a few sparks with their mouths taped up......

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Hot pink is my favorite color of camera tape because nobody "borrows" it.

#9 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

Hot pink is my favorite color of camera tape because nobody "borrows" it.

And it goes great with your jumpsuit and your Panavision jacket. Bahdump.

#10 Mike Thorn

Mike Thorn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Grip
  • Cleveland, OH

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

And it goes great with your jumpsuit and your Panavision jacket. Bahdump.

Also useful when laying marks for actresses because no self-respecting man is going to step up to a hot pink mark.

#11 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

Also useful when laying marks for actresses because no self-respecting man is going to step up to a hot pink mark.

Also true. I try to use it for the leading lady. They always like that.

#12 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

Oh, you'd be surprised.

#13 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

I skipped over "marks for" when first skimming through your post. It certainly changed the meaning of what you were trying to say. ;)

#14 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:30 AM

It's a fine thing for us lab people to receive exposed stock in cans with white tape around with black felt marker identification on saying
exposure rate
footage

It is a very sad fact that many camera people, from 2nd to DoP, cannot leave the original sticker on the can as it is, they scribble and paint and paste over it so that for instance the batch numbers are illegible. Please, simply write on the tape around the rim if you feel you must write besides the camera report. The tape we shall be looking at because, you know why.

#15 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

It's a fine thing for us lab people to receive exposed stock in cans with white tape around with black felt marker identification on saying
exposure rate
footage

It is a very sad fact that many camera people, from 2nd to DoP, cannot leave the original sticker on the can as it is, they scribble and paint and paste over it so that for instance the batch numbers are illegible. Please, simply write on the tape around the rim if you feel you must write besides the camera report. The tape we shall be looking at because, you know why.

The amount of time and effort that would take would be nearly impossible on a big shoot. With the amount of recans and short ends, multiple units using the same darkroom it would be a headache for the loader. Does Kodak still make the peel off label that doesn't stick to anything?

#16 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

I agree.

Once a seal is broken, I don't trust the label info anymore.... I trust what is written on the Can by the person who did the re-can.. (i.e. Stock, Feet, Date of re-can etc...)... or what is written on the Camera Report. Rarely is a stock sent to the lab in the same can it came in.. or even a matching can...

#17 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:03 AM

Then it seems to me that I am used to keep order in the dark while the crew produces a mess in the light. Why in the world can an exposed portion not be brought back to its can? Don't you keep empty and unlabeled cans in a place for short ends? I always wonder at how archaic procedures are with million dollar budget film productions (or less) right on the level of film.

#18 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

Then it seems to me that I am used to keep order in the dark while the crew produces a mess in the light.

Simon?

Often times you only shoot a portion of a roll.. right then and there you are out of sync as the other part has to go in a different can. Look, cans are cans to 'Set' folks.. that is why we 're-label' them with the correct info. :rolleyes:

#19 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

I beg your pardon.

Everything is fine.

Have been a bit too sensitive. Like pressure sensitive tape. Never mind
:mellow:

#20 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

I skipped over "marks for" when first skimming through your post. It certainly changed the meaning of what you were trying to say. ;)

Hal, you should be ashamed. You have a dirty mind and I like that.

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Ritter Battery