14 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Houston

Tom Houston
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

I'm looking for a small matte box for my Eclair ACL. I'd like something similar to the one shown on the Ikonskop.

http://www.image-acq...konoskopds8.jpg

Has anyone seen one that would work?

Thanks!!

#2 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

I'm reasonably certain the matte box shown with the Ikonoskop is a Chrosziel 3x3-inch. Cavision sells matte boxes that are less expensive than those offered by Chrosziel and, in my view, they're just as well made (http://www.cavision.com).

You may need 15mm rods spaced 60mm center-to-center to accommodate a matte box if you haven't got them already. American Cinematographic Systems is currently developing a rod support for the ACL - arfilm76 (at) yahoo (dot) com - that should be reasonably priced.

Edited by Glenn Brady, 29 May 2009 - 12:49 PM.

#3 Tom Houston

Tom Houston
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

I'm reasonably certain the matte box shown with the Ikonoskop is a Chrosziel 3x3-inch. Cavision sells matte boxes that are less expensive than those offered by Chrosziel and, in my view, they're just as well made (http://www.cavision.com).

You may need 15mm rods spaced 60mm center-to-center to accommodate a matte box if you haven't got them already. American Cinematographic Systems is currently developing a rod support for the ACL - arfilm76 (at) yahoo (dot) com - that should be reasonably priced.

Glenn,

I wasn't able to find American Cinematographic Systems through a Google search...Do they only have an email presence?

R/

Tom

#4 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Glenn,

I wasn't able to find American Cinematographic Systems through a Google search...Do they only have an email presence?

R/

Tom

Tom

I'm advised a new website is in the works, but yes, at the moment, there's only e-mail. It's basically a one-man operation. I've written an article about the ACS rod support made for Beaulieu 2008/4008 series cameras that's supposed to appear in the next issue of Super 8 Today. You'll be able to assess the quality of the product in the illustrations accompanying the article.

Glenn

#5 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

Tom

It's American Cinematographic Specialties, not American Cinematographic Systems. My error.

Glenn

#6 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

I have one of the $359 cine city matte boxes w/ rod support: http://www.thecineci...ome.php?cat=270 it works fine, however the ACL lens must not be mounted in the "standard" position because every matte box i've tried is a bit off to the side and not high enough. i was able to make it work by flipping the rod support mount upside-down, but i still have to kinda pan the camera just a tiny bit to get the lens centered in the matte box. it works but i would not really say it's ideal.

i also have an old matte box and rod support from a redrockmicro M2 (see pic). that one, again, i had to build a little riser to get the matte box up high enough and over to the right (i just fashioned the piece using the metal from a coffee can, and covered it with gaffers tape for a super-cool look :-)

i haven't had the pleasure of working with one of the really high-end matte boxes so they may have better horizontal/vertical adjustment.

Posted Image

#7 Tom Houston

Tom Houston
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

Tom

I'm advised a new website is in the works, but yes, at the moment, there's only e-mail. It's basically a one-man operation. I've written an article about the ACS rod support made for Beaulieu 2008/4008 series cameras that's supposed to appear in the next issue of Super 8 Today. You'll be able to assess the quality of the product in the illustrations accompanying the article.

Glenn

Would you be willing to share the pictures of the rod system?

Thanks again for the info!

Tom

#8 Tom Houston

Tom Houston
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

I have one of the $359 cine city matte boxes w/ rod support: http://www.thecineci...ome.php?cat=270 it works fine, however the ACL lens must not be mounted in the "standard" position because every matte box i've tried is a bit off to the side and not high enough. i was able to make it work by flipping the rod support mount upside-down, but i still have to kinda pan the camera just a tiny bit to get the lens centered in the matte box. it works but i would not really say it's ideal.

i also have an old matte box and rod support from a redrockmicro M2 (see pic). that one, again, i had to build a little riser to get the matte box up high enough and over to the right (i just fashioned the piece using the metal from a coffee can, and covered it with gaffers tape for a super-cool look :-)

i haven't had the pleasure of working with one of the really high-end matte boxes so they may have better horizontal/vertical adjustment.

Posted Image

Jason,

Nice looking rig! What kind of lens is that?

Tom

#9 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

Nice looking rig! What kind of lens is that?

Thanks :) It's a PL adapter from Visual Products with an Optar Illumina 8mm lens. I actually just got it this week and I'm pretty psyched to try it out.

#10 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

The adapter looks like C-to PL. The outer mount on the ACL (TS) is a more stable choice. It must have been pricey too, but I am sure it works fine.

#11 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Would you be willing to share the pictures of the rod system?

Thanks again for the info!

Tom

Tom,

I'd be happy to share pictures. Unfortunately, I'm 'computing challenged' and have never succeeded in posting pictures to this forum. If you'd PM me with your e-mail address, I'd be pleased to send the pictures I have of the ACS rod supports for my Beaulieu and Bolex cameras. If you search '4008 rod' at this forum, you'll find a post by Seth King of American Cinematographic Specialties showing the ACS rod support on a Beaulieu 4008 series camera.

Glenn

#12 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

Tom

The American Cinematography Speciaties website has just appeared. It's http://www.americanc....com/index.html.

Glenn

Edited by Glenn Brady, 01 June 2009 - 05:30 PM.

#13 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

[double post]

Edited by Glenn Brady, 01 June 2009 - 05:31 PM.

#14 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:09 AM

The adapter looks like C-to PL. The outer mount on the ACL (TS) is a more stable choice. It must have been pricey too, but I am sure it works fine.

yea its the c-mount version. i originally planned get one of Les Bosher's PL mounts, I have one of his Nikon mounts & it's solid as a rock. But this one came up on eBay with the lens for a good price so I snagged it. it seems like it's made out of some lightweight aluminium or something, but it actually feels really solid. I don't know if I were to put a big honkin' telephoto on there, though. my wife says that the camera is my little doll that i like to play dress-up with. sadly the analogy is apt.

Edited by Jason Hinkle, 02 June 2009 - 01:12 AM.

#15 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:16 AM

my wife says that the camera is my little doll that i like to play dress-up with. sadly the analogy is apt.

Hi Jason,

say thanks to your wife for the first luagh on a rather dreary day! :lol:

Cheers, Dave

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab