Salvador Vega

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

I've seen something I'm about to describe a few months ago at a prep at Panavision but there was no AC around to ask, wondering if anyone can help me find the name of the item and where I could get my hands on one. What I saw appears to be a Dove tail attached to a 90 degree L that is then attached to a Backpack with some heavy duty straps. All Green and rugged looking. Looks like it was meant to lock a assembled camera via a QRP or something to get to a location only reachable by foot.

If I imagined this wonderful product I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or give me a solid review of a camera backpack like a KATA bag or the like, for my circumstance it would be for a fully built up RED ONE camera with nice heavy duty straps and help with my center of balance. I will be hiking in some heavy duty terrain and if I have to get a consumer bag I'd like to have a recommendation from this community.

Thanks

#2 Patrick Lavalley

Patrick Lavalley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Any particular reason that you need to transport the camera fully built? In my opinion it would be much safer to carry a case containing the camera in its parts than to have a camera hanging off your back, bare and exposed.

I haven't seen what you're asking about, however you could potentially custom build something using an old GI issue ALICE pack frame. They are made out of aluminum, so you would have a fairly solid base to work from. However, this would be my choice for such an endeavor, of course this would mean transporting the camera in a case:

https://www.kifaru.n...aryhaulers.html

These packs are very comfortable, good for hauling loads, and really rugged. They are expensive, and require a lot of lead time as they hand make each one to your body measurements, but for carrying heavy loads on your back by foot, there really isn't anything better.

#3 Salvador Vega

Salvador Vega

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Wow, thanks for the link Patrick. That is pretty close to what I saw at Panavision. The pack I saw at Panavision just looked really cool and had the AC been around when I saw the pack I coulda asked them to demo it for me. For all I know it could be like the hauler in your link and is used for bringing down the 2nd AC exhausted after a day of shooting in a jungle or to haul a cooler for wrap beers.

I wouldn't really want to have the camera completely exposed hanging off my back but I would like it as built as possible minus the lens so that if I came across something awesome to pick up and shoot I only have to wait the 90 second start up, slap the lens on and shoot. Rather than assemble all the pieces.

I did come across this bag googling:

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B000AAX2PA

Now I'm just looking for an opinion or maybe someone could link me to a bag they recommend that I either haven't found or considered.

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Technodolly

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

CineLab

CineTape

Abel Cine

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC