Adam Garner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:34 AM

My scoopic 16m was working just fine.

I had a very small hair in the viewfinder and I took the casing apart inside, where the viewfinder is. I gave it a quick cleaning with a lens cloth, very lightly.

After putting the thing back together, the focus is totally weird.

For example, if I zoom in and focus on something (say a landscape at infinity), then zoom out the entire frame is blurred. To sharpen it up, I either have to focus at it's lowest focal point (even for landscapes), or click it into macro...

What could have caused this calibration issue in 5 minutes? There is nothing very special about the design of the viewfinder as far as I can tell.

For the record I sent to Bernie O'Doherty at Super16Inc, but I wanted to know what I may have done... or see if anyone has ever had this issue.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:55 AM

What do you mean, you took apart the casing? Did you actually take apart the viewfinder assembly or just take off the camera door to clean the two optical surfaces inside the body? Maybe if you took apart the viewfinder, then the diopter could have slipped out alignment, I dunno... Otherwise, it could be as simple as resetting your diopter. I've never seen this issue with my Scoopic M, sorry.

#3 Adam Garner

Adam Garner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

Did you actually take apart the viewfinder assembly or just take off the camera door to clean the two optical surfaces inside the body?

That's exactly what I did. I removed the assembly to clean inside.

I don't understand how the diopter is designed, so I don't understand how it may have slipped out of adjustment. Is this something that is easy to adjust?

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

Sounds like a good question for Bernie...

#5 Adam Garner

Adam Garner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

Bernie fixed it. The calibration is in how the glass is glued into the enclosure. The "glue" was actually softer that i expected when I was cleaning. It was more like REALLY thick petroleum jelly. Needless to say it only took slight pressure after opening the enclosure to push it out of alignment. Good to know!!!

#6 Adam Garner

Adam Garner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

Bernie fixed it. The calibration is in how the glass is glued into the enclosure. The "glue" was actually softer that i expected when I was cleaning. It was more like REALLY thick petroleum jelly. Needless to say it only took slight pressure after opening the enclosure to push it out of alignment. Good to know!!!

#7 Bengt Freden

Bengt Freden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing this information - this is really good to know. I have a Canon Sound Scoopic 200 SE, which also has the viewfinder optical path going through the film chamber door. I´ll be very careful from now on, only blowing away hairs and dust.

Best,
Bengt F, Stockholm ;)

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery