#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:52 AM

What a bizarre, cool little film. Half 50s sci/fi, half 50s Christmas miracle film, half avant-garde art film, weird psycho sexual elements, hokey 30s style martian costume, sets slapped together with whatever could be made to work all shot on B&W with bad acting and bursts of color here and there. Anyone else see this strange, delightful film that took 7 years to complete and look like it was made for about a $1.95 with change left over but still was able to add nice special effects that were both cheesy and surprisingly effective? B)

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:59 AM

No, but it sure sounds good - description reminiscent of 'Tears of the Black Tiger'

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:00 AM

What a bizarre, cool little film. Half 50s sci/fi, half 50s Christmas miracle film, half avant-garde art film, weird psycho sexual elements, hokey 30s style martian costume, sets slapped together with whatever could be made to work all shot on B&W with bad acting and bursts of color here and there. Anyone else see this strange, delightful film that took 7 years to complete and look like it was made for about a $1.95 with change left over but still was able to add nice special effects that were both cheesy and surprisingly effective? B)

I assume you must be talking about the flaming lips film! There surely can't be two films with that title!
I've not seen it yet but I'm really curious how you managed to get to se it??!!

I'm definitely interested in catching it sometime! :)

love

Freya

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:34 AM

Sweetheart, it's playing on IFC and really darling,you gots to check it out. It is too cool for school!! Yes, it's The Flaming Lips !! Not Rodriguez, not Terantino, not Scorsese, but bitchin' none the less. It's low brow art. we're not talking Jarmusch, The Polish Brothers or even Harmony Korine here but OOOHHH so cool, never the less!! I don't know that I can learn alot from this other than never be afraid to try whatever. I do like to see stuff like this pushing the edge!. It is weird and that in and of it's self is cool!! Rent it, buy it, watch it on cable bit don't miss it!! B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 14 June 2009 - 02:39 AM.

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

Sweetheart, it's playing on IFC and really darling,you gots to check it out. It is too cool for school!! Yes, it's The Flaming

Er, you're making me feel like I joined the theatre or something!!

Lips !! Not Rodriguez, not Terantino, not Scorsese, but bitchin' none the less. It's low brow art. we're not talking Jarmusch, The Polish Brothers or even Harmony Korine here but OOOHHH so cool, never the less!! I don't know that I can learn alot from this other than never be afraid to try whatever. I do like to see stuff like this pushing the edge!. It is weird and that in and of it's self is cool!! Rent it, buy it, watch it on cable bit don't miss it!! B)

I've been curious about it for some time but its not super available here yet.
I've seen the trailer and I do like the bit where they are going to do an autopsy on santa and he is all like "please don't cut the suit" because of course they are trapped on Mars and there won't be another santa suit to replace it!
I hope I'll get to see it properly sometime.

Today however I received two DVD's in the post. One is "a fistfull of dynamite", the other is "The Psychotronic Man". Hmmm compare and contrast! :)

love

Freya

#6 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

I will start by saying that I am a huge Flaming Lips fan, but I did not like the film. The look, the sets, the premise were all fine, yes even one could say cool in a cheesey way. The story and the execution of it were no existent. I was bored stiff. Compared to what the Lips do live, or even Fearless Freaks, this show blew chunks. No wonder it took so long to finish, there was no story to tell. I was waiting for this one for a while and wasn't surprised that it stunk. When something takes that long to finish, you know there is trouble. It didn't seem like they gave a crap about it. Steve Drodz was at a very low point in his life and it shows. The famous Flaming Lips fun was all there, but for nought. Truly vapid.

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:27 AM

I will start by saying that I am a huge Flaming Lips fan, but I did not like the film. The look, the sets, the premise were all fine, yes even one could say cool in a cheesey way. The story and the execution of it were no existent. I was bored stiff. Compared to what the Lips do live, or even Fearless Freaks, this show blew chunks. No wonder it took so long to finish, there was no story to tell. I was waiting for this one for a while and wasn't surprised that it stunk. When something takes that long to finish, you know there is trouble. It didn't seem like they gave a crap about it. Steve Drodz was at a very low point in his life and it shows. The famous Flaming Lips fun was all there, but for nought. Truly vapid.

Wow! You no like it, I can tell!

To be fair they were trying to make the film on the side while doing all the touring and stuff.

However could it be that maybe you don't like it because you are a fan of the flaming lips and you know they could have done far better and you felt they were wasting their talents?

I've only seen the trailer as you know but I was okay with Steve Drodz acting and deadpan delivery, I quite liked it. Some of the other acting in the trailer I thought was less okay tho.

Interested to hear what you say about it tho! One vote for and one against. Hmmm.

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:01 AM

Er, you're making me feel like I joined the theatre or something!!

:lol: I've been on stage since I was 6 so you will forgive me, no offense!

I've been curious about it for some time but its not super available here yet.
I've seen the trailer and I do like the bit where they are going to do an autopsy on santa and he is all like "please don't cut the suit" because of course they are trapped on Mars and there won't be another santa suit to replace it!
I hope I'll get to see it properly sometime.

Today however I received two DVD's in the post. One is "a fistfull of dynamite", the other is "The Psychotronic Man". Hmmm compare and contrast! :)

love

Freya

Fist Full of Dynamite or Duck you Sucker as it was also called, not one of Leone's best, but not bad, The Psychotronic Man, now that's a new one on me. B)

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:05 AM

Hey man, to each his own. I'm NOT a huge Flaming Lips fan but never the less, I liked the film because I AM a fan of the bizarre and if you can say nothing else, you have to admit this film was indeed bizarre. :D

#10 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

:lol: I've been on stage since I was 6 so you will forgive me, no offense!

Fist Full of Dynamite or Duck you Sucker as it was also called, not one of Leone's best, but not bad, The Psychotronic Man, now that's a new one on me. B)

Hey I'm generally dificult to offend but if you somehow manage it, well woe betide you! ;)

I'm sure that one of Leone's lesser works will still be amazing and beautiful, and I've seen the more obvious films of his quite a lot already.

Well I have now seen the Psychotronic man. It is the movie that psychotronic films were first named after, and it seemed appropriate to mention it here as Christmas on Mars seems like a very psychotronic movie in concept. Even the title for that matter. I think I will create a new post dedicated to the psychotronic man however. :)

love

Freya

#11 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

It's still better than 'The Colossus of Rhodes', not that that one didn't have it's moments either.

'Giu la Testa' does have those great close ups of the rich people on the coach eating,
& what a dynamite train wreck.

I've heard of 'The Psychotronic Man' but have not seen it.

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products