2 replies to this topic

#1 harshal nachnolkar

harshal nachnolkar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:00 AM

I have read the previous post on this. i just have one question. what is the minimum configuration (in terms of noise and resolution) DIGITAL camera i can use to shoot a video that can later be blown into 35mm? if you could tell me a particular model or format it would be nice.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:46 AM

I have read the previous post on this. i just have one question. what is the minimum configuration (in terms of noise and resolution) DIGITAL camera i can use to shoot a video that can later be blown into 35mm? if you could tell me a particular model or format it would be nice.

There's no way to answer that question. "The Celebration" was a huge art house hit, and it was shot on a cheap consumer PAL single-chip camcorder costing less than $2000. There is no magic line where suddenly a certain level of resolution and noise becomes "acceptable" for transfer to 35mm.

Basically you get the best 24P HD camera you can afford and shoot it well and hope it looks good enough.

Do you have a budget for the camera?

#3 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

There's no way to answer that question. "The Celebration" was a huge art house hit, and it was shot on a cheap consumer PAL single-chip camcorder

The format, shooting style and the resulting look used to make "The Celebration" were just right for that story.

In much the same way S8, 16mm or 35mm are used in film formats, I think your choice depends on the needs of the story and visual style you want to create. When I was a student shooting Super8 I worked within the limitations and qualities of that format. I can shoot bigger formats now, and that changes what and how I choose to photograph.

See what you can afford, what will work for the story and most of all, make your movie!

Bruce Taylor
www.indi35.com

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineLab

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets