Photo

Lighting a greenscreen for "touchscreen tabletop" from below? Problems...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Luis Reggiardo

Luis Reggiardo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi!
I have to light a greenscreen on a table, simulating a touchscreen tabletop (like the one in the Control Room of MI-6 at Quantum of Solace).

5 actors will be around the table interacting with it. The greenscreen should be lit from below to have a nice and even lighting level.

Problem is that what happens with the "green" light (coming from below) that will cast all over the actors faces as they face the table? On shots where both the table and actors are seen, will the greenlight interfere with a good keying on post?

Also, I would like to use the lighting coming from the chroma as a "practical" so the actors are illuminated with light "coming from the screen". I was thinking about doing that with fluorescent tubes aligned around the borders of the table from below, next to the virtual screen.

My main problem is the interfering green-light coming from the greenscreen backlight... any help?

Thanks!
Luis

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

Much as I hate to state the obvious, couldn't you project the graphics onto the tabletop from below, and make it a practical effect? If you've room to light it, I suspect you've room to do this. Some small modern projectors have enormously wide angle lenses, and you can bounce it off a mirror. Practical effect by far the preferred solution here, I think - I mean, they did it in Aliens, for crying out loud, and that was the mid-80s.

Other than that, there is no single easy solution to green spill. Have you considered using something other that'd match the graphics and just look like normal spill from the screen? It would help if the graphics were fairly monochrome, but you can probably use any colour you like so long as it's far from anything that'll cross the screen in camera.

P

#3 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

There's no reason to use a greenscreen for this. Just use a frosted white piece of glass and light it evenly from below.

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS