#1 Steve Chamberlain

Steve Chamberlain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

I have a "help the newbie" thread... up until 6 months ago I was shootign with a pretty simple Sony PC 120 video camera... but recently invested a big chunk of change on a Sony HD Z5E video camera... now all I need to do is work out what I should be setting the settings on lol...

I shoot in pretty small apartments usually... normally with some natural lighting, and I also throw 2x 650 Arri Juniors in to brighten things a little, even though dont usually notice too much difference with the natural light... Usually bounce the lights off the ceiling... as pointing them at the subject usually creats crazy shadows in the small area we shoot in...

So my questions are...

1. Shutter Speed... ? What shutter speed should I set the camera on ? I shoot glamour stuff so it's models

2. DB Gain... I under stand it improves the brightness, but at what expense ? Does a higher DB gain make the image more grainy, like when you shoot in a high ISO on a stills camera ?

3. Does using a low F stop on the iris have the same effect as the stills camera, as in blurs background ?

Thanks in advance

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

1) 1/60th is normal for anything which is shot 60i (do interlaced fields, such as 1080i). 1 /48th is the shutter speed of film cameras, and would be what to set at if you're shooting 24P, such as 1080P (though 1080p can also be 30 fps, it just depends on your setting).

2) DB increased grain, as you say. I set mine on my sony xdcam to -3, if you can do the same, i'd recommend it. Else, put it @ 0db

3)yes, but with a smaller chip camera it's not as obvious unless you are zoomed in really far and backed away but it helps.

#3 Steve Chamberlain

Steve Chamberlain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

1) 1/60th is normal for anything which is shot 60i (do interlaced fields, such as 1080i). 1 /48th is the shutter speed of film cameras, and would be what to set at if you're shooting 24P, such as 1080P (though 1080p can also be 30 fps, it just depends on your setting).

2) DB increased grain, as you say. I set mine on my sony xdcam to -3, if you can do the same, i'd recommend it. Else, put it @ 0db

3)yes, but with a smaller chip camera it's not as obvious unless you are zoomed in really far and backed away but it helps.

Hey Thanks Adrian :) I can indeed do the -3db... can you tell me what that actually does ? Why it's a benefit ?

#4 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:58 PM

...I can indeed do the -3db... can you tell me what that actually does ? Why it's a benefit ?

It knocks the noise floor down even lower than '0db'. Set up a contrasty scene and play with that gain setting, you'll very quickly get a feel for what it does for you and how much it costs you in terms of levels.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

Exactly as stated, it helps get rid of "video noise" which you'll see and of course, it also makes the camera "slower" requiring slightly more light. It's fine to shoot with 0db when you need to, just best to avoid it if possible (side note, a film I'm shooting soon might actually want +12db gain... but we'll see how that works out in camera-testing)

#6 Steve Chamberlain

Steve Chamberlain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

Hey... Thanks Adrian and Daniel :) I am a bit of a newbie as you can probably tell so I really appreciate taking the time to reply :)

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

Anytime. Always happy to help when I can.

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Technodolly

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc