#1 Matt Cabinum

Matt Cabinum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

Does anyone know who makes the Red Digital Cinema Pro Prime lenses. I haven't seen these out in the field before. The only time I used them was for a seminar about a year ago, and there was some debate as to makes them, because they were fairly new at the time and RED wasn't saying who made them. I was saying Sigma because frankly they feel so light and the coating is that brownish, yellow which looks like the Sigma zooms that come with those Canon DSLR packages. But does anyone have a link to a site that explains it or any type of information? Just curious to know. Thanks all!

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6104 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

I would assume the RED lenses are much like Mac computers, designed by RED and then assembled built over in China (probably) from available parts. That being said I have heard the Sigma idea, but never an actual admittance of who makes what parts of which for either the lenses or the camera itself.

#3 Juan Guajardo

Juan Guajardo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

Edited by Juan Guajardo, 21 June 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

Does anyone know who makes the Red Digital Cinema Pro Prime lenses. I haven't seen these out in the field before. The only time I used them was for a seminar about a year ago, and there was some debate as to makes them, because they were fairly new at the time and RED wasn't saying who made them. I was saying Sigma because frankly they feel so light and the coating is that brownish, yellow which looks like the Sigma zooms that come with those Canon DSLR packages. But does anyone have a link to a site that explains it or any type of information? Just curious to know. Thanks all!

Hi,

The original 18-50 was a sub prime conversion of a sigma lens.
The Pro Prime lenses are very different & have not shipped in any great no's yet. Made in Japan but by who?

Stephen

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

System Associates

Cinelicious

NIBL

K5600 Lighting

Glidecam

Zylight

Lemo Connectors

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC