#1 Ivan Ross

Ivan Ross

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

My 16mm Hycam II's red ready light illuminates and the camera makes a loud noise and seems to want to try to run when I switch it to "start." However, nothing inside the camera turns and the film doesn't progress.

I'm wondering if my problem is the spool size I'm using for these tests. Will this camera only run if I'm using a 400-ft daylight-spool (described in the Kodak catalogue as 'S-153 400-ft spool')? So far I've only been using old double-perf film that has already been processed and is on a 100-ft spool (because that's all I have on hand). Will the camera run if I get the bigger spools, or might there be a mechanical problem?

I'm just trying to see if anyone knows about this before I spend a lot of money on film stock that might potentially be useless to me! Thanks very much in advance for anything you can suggest.

--Ivan

#2 alexandros petin

alexandros petin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Athens Greece

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

My 16mm Hycam II's red ready light illuminates and the camera makes a loud noise and seems to want to try to run when I switch it to "start." However, nothing inside the camera turns and the film doesn't progress.

I'm wondering if my problem is the spool size I'm using for these tests. Will this camera only run if I'm using a 400-ft daylight-spool (described in the Kodak catalogue as 'S-153 400-ft spool')? So far I've only been using old double-perf film that has already been processed and is on a 100-ft spool (because that's all I have on hand). Will the camera run if I get the bigger spools, or might there be a mechanical problem?

I'm just trying to see if anyone knows about this before I spend a lot of money on film stock that might potentially be useless to me! Thanks very much in advance for anything you can suggest.

--Ivan

hello
when i first tried to power up a Locam the batteries i used where the right volts but not enough Ahmps. So when i pressed the on switch it did make a loud noise but nothing started rolling.I dont know if your camera is dc or ac but it could be a power problem, or lots of other things.
it don't think that it cant take smaller than 400ft spools. Have you searched for the cameras manual?
good luck

#3 Lou Nar

Lou Nar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Did you make sure the H-L switch was properly engaged? When I was testing mine out I tried it on both settings and it seems that it's possible for the H-L switch to fit into the locked position even if the gears don't engage properly.
-Lou

#4 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

Did you make sure the H-L switch was properly engaged? When I was testing mine out I tried it on both settings and it seems that it's possible for the H-L switch to fit into the locked position even if the gears don't engage properly.
-Lou

If this is an original or next generation Hycam it will have a gear box with H-M-L or H-L if this is a Visual Instrumentation products or late Redlake Hycam-II there is no gearbox. I have 3 Hycam(s) one original and two brand new (built 2004) Hycam-II camera's and the new ones are direct drive with newer electronics. There is a optical film sensor on the new cameras and if something is not right in the film path it will shut down.

If it is a new camera and you hear the motor go it will wind film unless there is something physically wrong with the drive mechanism. Older cameras can get stuck between gear settings which will cause the film not to be driven.

-Rob-

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

There shouldn't be a problem with a 100' spool as regards the film running or not, it just won't run very long. It might not turn over at all at very low speed. I'd have thought it would run OK off the domestic mains up to 2000pps at least, with the proviso that if you're in the 110V US it will draw a higher current.
Assuming the photocell, if present, is working, I'd agree with the incorrectly set gear.
Unless it's had it.

#6 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

There shouldn't be a problem with a 100' spool as regards the film running or not, it just won't run very long. It might not turn over at all at very low speed. I'd have thought it would run OK off the domestic mains up to 2000pps at least, with the proviso that if you're in the 110V US it will draw a higher current.
Assuming the photocell, if present, is working, I'd agree with the incorrectly set gear.
Unless it's had it.

The newer electronics in the HycamII from Vis-Inst will go from about 100pps to 15,000pps on a 110V 20A plug. Also it will hit desired framerate (including MAX) in less than 100' on a 400'roll. 100' and 200' daylight spools are also not a problem.

-Rob- "working on a Jet engine test shot on Hycam-II's this week"

#7 Lou Nar

Lou Nar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

does anyone know where I can find a HYCAM II manual pdf? the model i have uses a 100' spool and has only the H-L switch but no controller. it seems to run fine but i have no way to calculate FPS for exposure.
thanks,
-Lou

#8 Lou Nar

Lou Nar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

does anyone know where I can find a HYCAM II manual pdf? the model i have uses a 100' spool and has only the H-L switch but no controller. it seems to run fine but i have no way to calculate FPS for exposure.
thanks,
-Lou

oops, it's a HYCAM... not a HYCAM II

#9 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

oops, it's a HYCAM... not a HYCAM II

Can you post a Pic? my old one has a slider for range and a dial for fine fps. It has a H-M-L gearbox. There is noe external controller for it. The new one has a thumbwheel for fps. See Pics

-Rob-

Attached Images

• HyCamII.JPG
  • Old_Hycam_Gears.JPG
  • Old_Hycam_Speed_Set.JPG

#10 Lou Nar

Lou Nar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hello All,
Here are some pics of the HYCAM i have. Does anyone happen to know what PPS it might run at on H&L settings respectively?
Cheers,
-lou

Hycam Pic 1
Hycam Pic 2
Hycam Pic 3
Hycam Pic 4

#11 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hello All,
Here are some pics of the HYCAM i have. Does anyone happen to know what PPS it might run at on H&L settings respectively?
Cheers,
-lou

I think you need an external controller box to make that run, I can dig up my old manual unfortunately I do not have it on disk as a pdf.

-Rob-

#12 Lou Nar

Lou Nar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

I think you need an external controller box to make that run, I can dig up my old manual unfortunately I do not have it on disk as a pdf.

-Rob-

Hey Rob,
Yeah, i got a weird model i guess. Maybe i'll get lucky and find a cheap controller somewhere. I'd offer to scan and convert the manual but looks like we live on opposite sides of the US. I'm always open to any further info on the HYCAM, thanks for all the help thusfar.
-Lou

#13 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Hey Rob,
Yeah, i got a weird model i guess. Maybe i'll get lucky and find a cheap controller somewhere.

I put my older Hycam up on ebay as a complete outfit if you are interested..

http://tinyurl.com/m6pjdu

-Rob-

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineTape

Paralinx LLC