#1 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

Hi,

-When shooting outside under direct sunlight, do you always have to point the reflector at the sun or can you point it in the opposite direction to make it work?

-Also, does the hard side of the reflector give a light that is as direct and as intense as a light shining on the subject, placed at the same distance as the reflector and without any filters on it?

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi,

-When shooting outside under direct sunlight, do you always have to point the reflector at the sun or can you point it in the opposite direction to make it work?

-Also, does the hard side of the reflector give a light that is as direct and as intense as a light shining on the subject, placed at the same distance as the reflector and without any filters on it?

You can get a touch off them without direct sunlight pounding them but the reflector has to be very close to the subject. I like to punch reflectors thru 4x4 Diffusers... this is assuming you are talking about 'Hollywood' Reflectors. The best thing would be to visit your closest Rental House and head one up on a stand and pan it around and check both the hard and soft sides... because any advice is very subjective... we have also used them indoors bouncing lights into them...

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:56 PM

If you ever tried to reflect a light with a mirror, you'd know the answer to this question. I have a hard time believing that you've never done this. Reflecting a light is like making a bounce shot in a game of pool. See:
http://en.wikipedia....e_of_reflection

Depends on the light, doesn't it? If you mean the same light, one bounced off of the shiny side and one shined directly, no, it's not the same because the shiny side of the reflector is not a perfect optical mirror so it softens the hard light slightly. If you reflect the sun off of the shiny side of the reflector, it may be harsh, hot, and spotty... but it won't be as crisp and sharp as direct sunlight. If you use a real mirror, it would be more or less as sharp.

Sam, please tell us all the cinematography textbooks you are reading so we don't feel like you're trying to skip reading books by asking us all these basic questions instead...

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

FILM LIGHTING

#5 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

thanks for your help.

Im not trying to skip reading books. I've read cinematography theory and practice. and always look up information on the internet. I sometimes have small doubts on these basic things and that is why I ask questions to clear these doubts.

#6 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:24 PM

Do you own the above Book... if not... get it... ;)

#7 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

I only own cinematography theory and practice but I think Im gonna to buy Film Lighting. Thanks for suggesting the book.

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport