Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

Would anyone know what size clip on mattebox to get in order to fit these lenses? I can't seem to find the specifications of the measurement to order the right matte box.

Thanks,

Jamie

#2 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Would anyone know what size clip on mattebox to get in order to fit these lenses? I can't seem to find the specifications of the measurement to order the right matte box.

Hey Jamie,

Are these the round or square front? I have the round fronts and you can't effectively use a clip on because the front element turns. Give us some more specifics. I think Steve Beverly might have some of the squarefronts and be able to share some info.

Also you might sign up and post on Konvas.org, there are Lomo anamorphic lens owners of every stripe there.

Bruce Taylor
www.indi35.com

#3 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:35 AM

Hi,

Thanks,

Jamie

Kinor-35H camera with set of anamorphic lenses 35 , 50 , 75 mm had anamorphic mattebox at set.
You need find of Kinor-35H anamorphic matte box.
If you need, I can send pictures by PM.

#4 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

Kinor-35H camera with set of anamorphic lenses 35 , 50 , 75 mm had anamorphic mattebox at set.
You need find of Kinor-35H anamorphic matte box.
If you need, I can send pictures by PM.

Unfortunately the Kinor 35H matte box doesn't take western size filters, though it is just the thing to fit the round front anamorphics because it was made specifically for them.

I ended up with an Arri 6x6 matte box on a custom bracket to get things to work on my Kinor. Those 6x6 filters are expensive -- ouch--.

Bruce Taylor
www.indi35.com

#5 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:58 AM

Aha. Turns out this set of Lomos are my own lenses! Jamie is the steadicam op for a shoot and they were trying to figure out how to not use a heavy 6x6 matte box/rods/baseplate along with the rather large Lomo 35mm roundfront anamorphic lens.

In case someone can use this sometime in the future I though I would mention a possible solution. Jamie needed to hang some ND filters in front of this lens and not knock the weight and balance too far out of whack. One of the problems is the large size and weight of the front of the lens, also that the front element turns while focusing. If one isn't overly concerned with preventing flares, a 138mm round filter just drops into the front housing of this lens and can be secured with a bit of tape.

Bruce Taylor
www.indi35.com

#6 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:26 AM

If one isn't overly concerned with preventing flares, a 138mm round filter just drops into the front housing of this lens and can be secured with a bit of tape.

You can also make a quick and dirty lens hood out of 2" matte black tape. I'd use 2" gaff to secure the filter though, you don't want any chance of that slipping off.

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

I've looked for a suitable matte box for a long time for my square fronts too, and the russian anamorphic matte boxes seem very rare. I suspect I will end up making something from cardboard.

love

Freya

Opal

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam