#1 Matt Cabinum

Matt Cabinum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

I was 2nding on a feature where one particular scene took place in the pouring rain and writing on the slates became a bit of a problem. The Dry Erase died immediately and the sharpie wouldn't stay on either, nor would the vis a vis marker, or the white gaff with sharpie on it. Just wondering if anyone knew of a good way to slate in the rain, or any place with lots of moisture.

#2 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

Having dealt with situations like this in a non-ideal fashion (plastic bags, slating under umbrella, etc) what I've done is taken an old scratched-up slate that doesn't erase very well anymore, and converted it into a velcro slate. I put patches of white adhesive loop velcro on the front of the slate, and covered the back of the slate in loop velcro. Then I made lots of 1" stick-on numbers and letters with a labelmaker and hook velcro, and put them on the back of the slate. So in a rainy situation, you can pull out the velcro slate, and just stick on new numbers as needed, without having to deal with a marker.

Unfortunately, since I've made this slate, I haven't yet been in another situation where I needed it...

#3 Mike Thorn

Mike Thorn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Grip
  • Cleveland, OH

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:45 PM

Having dealt with situations like this in a non-ideal fashion (plastic bags, slating under umbrella, etc) what I've done is taken an old scratched-up slate that doesn't erase very well anymore, and converted it into a velcro slate. I put patches of white adhesive loop velcro on the front of the slate, and covered the back of the slate in loop velcro. Then I made lots of 1" stick-on numbers and letters with a labelmaker and hook velcro, and put them on the back of the slate. So in a rainy situation, you can pull out the velcro slate, and just stick on new numbers as needed, without having to deal with a marker.

Great idea. I'll have to do that.

#4 Patrick Lavalley

Patrick Lavalley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:41 AM

Has anyone tried grease pencil/china marker? Might be kind of a pain to erase, but I think it would stay on. I think they even use grease pencils when scuba diving.

#5 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

Cool, my slate sucks now so I think when I have spare time (rare, haha) I will convert it to Velcro. Camera Assistant Arts and Crafts Time! Then we can make friendship bracelets! :-D

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

When you get sick of dealing with the rain, you can just move to LA. It renders this whole discussion obsolete. ;)

#7 Ryan McGregor

Ryan McGregor

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:34 AM

http://www.modular51...;products_id=56

I just bought this, same idea as velcro'ing up a dumb slate, but for a timecode slate.

#8 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:34 AM

http://www.modular51...;products_id=56

I just bought this, same idea as velcro'ing up a dumb slate, but for a timecode slate.

I wonder how the old chalk-boards hold up in the rain, it feels like everyone has one knocking around!

#9 Matt Cabinum

Matt Cabinum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

Thanks everyone Velcro seems to be the way to go. Ryan, Thanks for posting that link, probably going to pick up one of those on the next "rain" shoot.

#10 ian henderson

ian henderson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles/ New Orleans

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

i always just end up holding the slate upside down when writing on it so the front doesnt get wet, and i keep a towel in my back pocket to erase/dry off the slate each time, and make sure the marker doesnt get wet.

#11 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

I wonder how the old chalk-boards hold up in the rain, it feels like everyone has one knocking around!

I would guess they hold up better than dry-erase or water-soluble, but would still be susceptible to running. Just a guess, though.

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc