Elliot Rudmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Hi there,

So I've been scanning this old 16mm project at work, and I've been trying to figure out what filmstock it is so that I can customize a film calibration in our Arriscan. Unfortunately the client doesn't remember what filmstocks he used (the footage was shot in 1986). On the film itself (it's negative film, not positive), contains an edge/keycode # that reads: J2 39 (the '39' is directly under the 'J2' mark) and then after it reads '86 143'. The '143' is irrelevant as it probably indicates the length (it gets higher as I shuttle through the film). Maybe the '86' refers to the year in which it was manufactured.

I have looked at the Kodak website where they publish their keycode numbers and can't find anything that dates back that far, in fact, it may not have even been a kodak stock. Agfa? Fuji maybe? My knowledge of motion picture film history is very weak. I tried searching for other resources with no success. Would any film buff's here care to help out? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Elliot

#2 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

This is old-style edge numbers, the film type was not coded in there, but you should be able to find it elsewhere next to the pêrforation edge. J2 sounds like older Kodak stock.

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

On the film itself (it's negative film, not positive), contains an edge/keycode # that reads: J2 39 (the '39' is directly under the 'J2' mark) and then after it reads '86 143'. The '143' is irrelevant as it probably indicates the length (it gets higher as I shuttle through the film). Maybe the '86' refers to the year in which it was manufactured.

The '86' is not the date. The date codes are a series of squares, circles, dots and triangles.

http://www.filmforev...g/Edgecodes.pdf

http://www.film-center.com/stock.html

http://www.historicp...1/16ekcode.html

It's been a while, I think the J is the actual stock ID.
Finding the list will be a hassle.

#4 Brian Pritchard

Brian Pritchard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Other
  • Stoke-on-Trent, UK

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:13 AM

It's been a while, I think the J is the actual stock ID.

J2 over 86 is the perforator number and has no relevance to the stock identification.
Brian

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc