New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student
  • Lodz - Poland

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

Hello,

I'm a cinematography student and will shoot my next exercise soon. The story is a tale about two kids in the countryside dreaming about adventures and wolf hunting.It is mostly happening in the forest. I would like it to have a kind of fantastic look.
I was first thinking to use warming filter. Then a teacher advised me to take a look on the golden sepia filter, but i'm not very amazed with those. What do you think about it?
Is there any more filter i could try that would give me a nice effect for a child storytale?

For at least one scene i would like to use a black net filter 1/2 or classic soft filter. Would it be any trouble with combining this with a warming filter or any other filter you would advise me?

I thought to shoot on Kodak Vision 3. Is it a good idea?

I attached few pics of my location to give an idea.

Thanks for the help.

Clem.

Attached Images

• unkissed_761.jpg
  • 205.jpg
  • 208.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

I usually just shoot a grey scale with a pale blue filter and then remove it for the shots, so that the transfer will be timed on the warm side.

Unless you want a very strong effect, then anything will work -- the difference between the warming filters out there (besides strength) is just the degree to which that orange color has more yellow/green versus red/magenta. So could shift that effect in post easily, make a Tobacco filter look at bit yellower, etc.

It gets a bit harder in post to match the odd brownish color of a heavy Chocolate though. But those filters tend to cut a lot of light, almost like ND's.

You may look into Antique Suede, Chocolate, Sepia, Tobacco, Coral, Gold, etc. As I said, besides strength, they just vary by how much that orange cast has a yellow/green bias or red/magenta bias -- you know, they either look sort of mustard yellow to reddish-brown.

Vision-3 250D would be good for the woods, but carry ND's.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets