7 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

My Dad let me borrow his Minolta Color Meter II, and I have been using it for the past year. He's had it for a while, but it has always been taken care of and well stored.

I was always taught that the color temperature of a tungsten bulb is 3200K. But for as long as I've been using this color meter, whenever I take a reading off a tungsten light, it says 2800K. Whether its a Lowell tota, omni, Mole tweenie, baby, etc., even tungsten Kinoflo bulbs, they all read 2800K, sometimes even 2700. I took a reading off a 60w household incandescent bulb, and it said 2400.

Is there something wrong with my meter? Does it need to be re-calibrated? Or are these readings right?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

My Dad let me borrow his Minolta Color Meter II, and I have been using it for the past year. He's had it for a while, but it has always been taken care of and well stored.

I was always taught that the color temperature of a tungsten bulb is 3200K. But for as long as I've been using this color meter, whenever I take a reading off a tungsten light, it says 2800K. Whether its a Lowell tota, omni, Mole tweenie, baby, etc., even tungsten Kinoflo bulbs, they all read 2800K, sometimes even 2700. I took a reading off a 60w household incandescent bulb, and it said 2400.

Is there something wrong with my meter? Does it need to be re-calibrated? Or are these readings right?

Household bulbs generally are below 3200K, more like 2800K. Kino tubes come in 2900K and 3200K varieties. Older globes like in a tweenie can start to go below 3200K. Also, the power supply can affect a tungsten lamp, perhaps something was causing them to be under-powered.

All that said, I don't know if the meter needs recalibrating or not.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

How about mid day sunlight on a clear day? As David says, low voltage could be the problem, or it could be the meter.

-- J.S.

#4 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

On a bright sunny day I usually get a reading anywhere from 4800K-6000K. Now that I think of it too, when I took a reading of KinoFlo Daylight tubes, it read 4800K. Then I shot the camera at 5600k, and the skin tone looked normal, not noticeably warmer. -800k would be noticeably warmer right?

#5 Dimitrios Koukas

Dimitrios Koukas
  • Sustaining Members
  • 569 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, Greece, London UK

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

The only way to find if it needs calibrating is find someone with a color meter and do the same measurements.
Then compare the results.
Dim

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

My Color Meter II was off quite a bit when I bought it. I sent it to Quality Light Metric for calibration and when I got it back it read 3200K Halogen fixtures (running at close to the bulb voltage ratings of 120V) and GE Chroma 50's in fixtures with magnetic ballasts right on the money.

QLM (323) 467-2265. They're located in Hollywood, the drop off address is on the NE corner of Hollywood & LaBrea. They do pick ups twice a day. Average meter repair is between $55 & $85 with a 1-2 day turnaround.

#7 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:39 AM

My Color Meter II was off quite a bit when I bought it. I sent it to Quality Light Metric for calibration and when I got it back it read 3200K Halogen fixtures (running at close to the bulb voltage ratings of 120V) and GE Chroma 50's in fixtures with magnetic ballasts right on the money.

QLM (323) 467-2265. They're located in Hollywood, the drop off address is on the NE corner of Hollywood & LaBrea. They do pick ups twice a day. Average meter repair is between $55 & $85 with a 1-2 day turnaround.

Thanks! I started getting worried.. I've been looking for a place to re-calibrate for the past few days, and it was looking like not even Minolta themselves repaired/calibrated that model anymore.

I will definitely check out QLM

#8 Gabriel Elder

Gabriel Elder

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

Hello! 

The info about QLM is still very helpful 8 years later, many thanks!

I have one additional question.  I picked up a Minolta Color Meter II on eBay.  Knew the risks, and low and behold it's wayyyy off. metering 4k on a cloudy day.

Does anyone know if the calibration happens in the head or in the meter itself?  There are a few new heads available online.  However, these heads are all labeled "Flash Color Receptor" as opposed to "Minolta Color Meter II" (which is how mine is labeled)

Does anyone have experience swapping out the head?

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks