#1 Philz

Philz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Salem, OR

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

Hello, I tried this on the other forum section but I wasn't getting any responses. I have a short film that I am planning to do. There is an important scene where displaying superhero images on a bedspread and pajamas is important. Would displaying characters such as Superman, Batman, etc. be fine or does it need permission? Is it fine without displaying the name? Please let me know, thanks.

#2 Michael K Bergstrom

Michael K Bergstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Grip
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

They are copyrighted/trademarked images and names. I would take the safe route and get permission, or use just enough of the characters that you know who they are but can't see the whole image. When I produce, I am very picky about brands and logos showing up. I try to use local companies fro product placement if I need something. Otherwise I stripe or hide everything, or partially obscure it. If your short film will be seen in an kind of large scale, and/or you hope to win/earn money from it, I would strongly suggest getting written permission. I have not found it very hard at all a lot of times to get permission for a short film for different things. I've even called Target cold and gotten positive responses, along with beer and liquor companies. Good luck!

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:27 AM

You're a student. You can claim "educational purposes" and be fine without getting clearances. As soon as you're no longer a student it starts to matter.

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products