#1 Steve Chamberlain

Steve Chamberlain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

OK I am trying to capture some HD video off my new Sony HDV Z5E camera... I have a trial version of Vegas Pro 9... I plugged it all in and started to capture... But when the files ended up on my computer they are .m2t files ??? I was expecting MPEG2 files :(

Am I doing something wrong ? Help please... :D

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Simply put, m2t files are MPEG-2 files. There's a number of ways of storing MPEG-2, one of which is as a "transport stream". This formatting is designed for applications such as tape storage, which is why you're getting it out of a video camera. It should be reasonably easy to read, though you might have to rename it to some other extension before some things will read it.

What d'you want to do with it? The procedure from here on is very dependent on what you actually want to achieve.

P

#3 Steve Chamberlain

Steve Chamberlain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:25 PM

Simply put, m2t files are MPEG-2 files. There's a number of ways of storing MPEG-2, one of which is as a "transport stream". This formatting is designed for applications such as tape storage, which is why you're getting it out of a video camera. It should be reasonably easy to read, though you might have to rename it to some other extension before some things will read it.

What d'you want to do with it? The procedure from here on is very dependent on what you actually want to achieve.

P

I shoot content for re sale... mainly glamour and adult end stuff... I package it up and ship on a hard drive... so just need to send it in a format people can use at the other end... I renamed the extension to mpg and it worked fine... just not sure if thats the best way, just to rename things...

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Yes, that'd be the usual fix.

It's probably better to send it with the m2t extension (which is probably more correct) and then let them sort it out their end.

P

#5 Steve Chamberlain

Steve Chamberlain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

Yes, that'd be the usual fix.

It's probably better to send it with the m2t extension (which is probably more correct) and then let them sort it out their end.

P

Another quickie... as well as getting the m2t file... it also has a .sfk file, anyone tell me what this is as well ? If I am going to copy all of the content onto a hard drive for a client what do I need to include... can I put just the mpg, or should i include the m2t and sfk files as well ?

And just to clarify once I captured the video as m2t files, if I change the .m2t to mpg the video will work right ? So I dont need to render or publish or anything techie, I can simply change the extension...

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post