#1 Philz

Philz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Salem, OR

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

I am planning to direct a non-union short film in August. One of the few actors is a child (5-8). Can anyone point me to sources describing how many hours they can work during school? Production will begin about the same time. We will be shooting for two or three weekends. Location will be in Oregon. Thanks!

#2 Philz

Philz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Salem, OR

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hello again, I contacted Oregon Films to get the information. I figure that is the best way to go. Thanks though :)

#3 Vedran Rapo

Vedran Rapo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Croatia

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Hello again, I contacted Oregon Films to get the information. I figure that is the best way to go. Thanks though :)

and what did you find out?

#4 Philz

Philz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Salem, OR

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

I talked with the Child Labor Unit at the Bureau of Labor and Industries. In Oregon, the minor must have a workers permit (wh-211 form) and I would need to provide workers compensation insurance. There are four actors on set: three volunteer, and the minor has to be paid and meet the conditions of ORA 839-021-0335. It is a pain getting workers compensation insurance just for two days of filming. Temporary agencies don't even want to deal with minors although SAIF Corporation said they are just covering their asses as it's legal to do. Initially I said I wanted to sell the film which led up to all of this. This means it's a business. A small, sole proprietor business. Therefore, the the state wants to know about it.

Since this is a ten minute film though, I'm considering not to sell it. I think internet distribution and film festivals would be good enough for self-promotion and for the actors. So I'm currently talking to them about if I do not seek profit. I had high hopes in the beginning but I really see this as self-promotion for myself to go towards the film industry and also a film school. If it's educational, I think I am excempt. I will most likely know more next week. This project was suppose to be fun! :P

#5 Philz

Philz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Salem, OR

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

I decided to go profit today, so I'm getting the necessary paperwork done. Just got workers compensation insurance for the shooting dates. It wouldn't have worked as non-profit because non-profit means doing it for educational, charitable, religious, etc. It would have fallen in lines with educational for me but I'm currently outside of college and not assigned a film project to do. But I'm glad I'm glad I'm going profit now. It was a little extra work but it was worth it. Always good to get a return profit :)

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies