Photo

Removing the entire viewfinder piece (for video tap)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 luke grandmont

luke grandmont

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

Hi

Trying out a video tap for an Arri SRII, but it requires the complete removal of the view finder assembly. I found that using a very small allen key loosened it (via the manual) but it just became very loose and would still would not budge. Anyone have any tips or words of advice? much appreciated

#2 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hi Luke,

You must extract the complete worm-gear screw. There is a lock-down screw which must be removed first. It's the one with the two slots. Please, if you don't have the proper Arri tool, try removing it Very Carefully with needle-nosed pliers. You may have to grind them down to fit the slots. When you have remoces thar lock-down piece, the whole worm gear will pull out. Then the finder will come off.
When reassembling, put the worm-gear in first, screw it in with the allen wrench, and then insert the slotted screw. Tighten down to apply friction, so that there is drag on the finder. Good Luck.

#3 luke grandmont

luke grandmont

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hi

Trying out a video tap for an Arri SRII, but it requires the complete removal of the view finder assembly. I found that using a very small allen key loosened it (via the manual) but it just became very loose and would still would not budge. Anyone have any tips or words of advice? much appreciated

thanks a lot Bernie! I was just heading out to do some prep stuff for the shoot tomorrow and thought I'd check my posting first, I'll giver a try and let you know how it went.

#4 luke grandmont

luke grandmont

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

thanks a lot Bernie! I was just heading out to do some prep stuff for the shoot tomorrow and thought I'd check my posting first, I'll giver a try and let you know how it went.

Well, I was able to get the view finder off and get the tap attached. When we went out to a monitor though the image was grey and fuzzy/super soft, almost ghost like. It's a T-bar looking video tap, pretty old as well.

#5 Rob Webster

Rob Webster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

This just means the video tap isn't positioned correctly and can't focus the image. On the SRII's i have used you should be able to (carefully) shimmy the video tap unit (CCD) further in or out of the mechanism it fits into and this should focus the image. Likewise if the image rotates or shifts to one side on the moniter it just means the tap isn't aligned properly.

Some minor alterations with the taps position should be able to fix your problem. Most probably just pushing it further in or out of the camera unit to focus.

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post