Adrian Espinosa

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

Hello Gentelman.
Im a student at the Escuela de Cine de Chile-Santiago I got a doubt thata i hope you might help me.

This saturday i've got the final shooting of a shortfilm, and the location is a park and the time is at night. Starting at 11 pm and finishing at 5 am the next day.

I'm gonna shoot it with the Vision 3 500 T Kodak film 16mm and i was planing on using some HMI for painting with them the moonlight in the back of the frame and some Tungsten 2k and 4K Freznels for key lights and back light.

The thing is, do you have some refrences of films, short films, or photographs that i can use?

thank you very much.

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

Adrian,

You are better of supplying example of a 'look' you are going for... then, folks here can offer suggestions as to how to achieve that 'look'. After all, YOU are the DP... what do YOU and the Director/ Producer want it to look / feel like?

When you say 4k..... do you mean the older style 4k SoftLites?... as far as fresnels go, they usually go from 2k to 5k.

FILM LIGHTING

#3 Adrian Espinosa

Adrian Espinosa

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

Thanks, and pardon my english cause i'm kinda rusty on it. . .when i meant 4k, i was reffering to HMI lightings.

The look i want to give the secuence in the park has an envolving cold temperature and makes it feel like a tough enviroment for the characters.

It has something like the tendency used by the film noir with high contrast and hard lighting. Thats why we thought on using some smoke to improve the "noir" way.

That's why im adding for a tungsten film some HMI lighting, to lead the TÂș in a colder way

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

Smoke will wind up lowering your contrast. If you want a hi-con look, forget the smoke.
Perhaps as it's a park, use your lights to pick it details in the BG here nd there instead of tying to light up the entire space.

#5 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

As Adrian said, don't worry about lighting up the entire park. You'd need some strong lights (18ks on Condors and such) to be able to do that. Focus on just lighting some key elements within the frame.

I would also recommend some china bulb lights on booms to use for your fill/ key on the actors. You will probably have to gel the lights to get it the right color temperature to match the HMIs.

#6 Adrian Espinosa

Adrian Espinosa

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hey thanks about the tip guys, ill cut down the smoke and play a little bit with iluminating here and there, and as i don't have a lot of budget ill try to do close ups. and i dont know how to say it in english but is "plano medio" using a 25mm lens (16mm film) for the wider framings.

So im like three hours from the starting line so ill let you know how i did it.

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

25mm lens is almost "normal" on 16mm film (25/18/16mm being the "normalish lenses). It's not particularly wide. A 12mm or a 9.5 mm would be a lot wider, though the 9.5 mm will distort things 'long the side. I like a 12mm on occasion. But not sure what "plano medio" means. Good luck

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc