Maya Bankovic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:11 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm shooting on the Red and have an insert of a ceiling covered in glow in the dark stars at night. The gaffer and I are looking into raising the "glow output" they're giving with a blacklight. Has anyone tried this? Another option is building a false ceiling and back lighting that.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
maya

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:31 AM

I'm shooting on the Red and have an insert of a ceiling covered in glow in the dark stars at night. The gaffer and I are looking into raising the "glow output" they're giving with a blacklight. Has anyone tried this?

Yes, I 1st'd a short film about a year ago where we did this. We shot 16mm, I believe the stock was Fuji 400T low-con. Shot on wide open Super Speeds. I haven't seen the footage, but the DP has told me the glow stars gave more than enough exposure to read on film without the black light, so if you just want the stars to read then I think you'll be fine. As I recall, the black light had to be very close to actually brighten the glow stars, so we ended up not using it. If you actually want the stars to light the space, then you won't have enough exposure for that. We ended up augmenting with Rosco light pads.

#3 Maya Bankovic

Maya Bankovic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:33 AM

Yes, I 1st'd a short film about a year ago where we did this. We shot 16mm, I believe the stock was Fuji 400T low-con. Shot on wide open Super Speeds. I haven't seen the footage, but the DP has told me the glow stars gave more than enough exposure to read on film without the black light, so if you just want the stars to read then I think you'll be fine. As I recall, the black light had to be very close to actually brighten the glow stars, so we ended up not using it. If you actually want the stars to light the space, then you won't have enough exposure for that. We ended up augmenting with Rosco light pads.

That's great news, we don't need the stars to offer up any light we just need to see them!

Thank you!

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:42 AM

That's great news, we don't need the stars to offer up any light we just need to see them!

Thank you!

Sure. Of course, I also recommend that you shoot a test with the glow stars, or at least spot meter them to make sure you're getting the output you need with your selected gamma/iso/color space camera settings...

Edited by Satsuki Murashige, 26 June 2009 - 01:43 AM.

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks