#1 indrakumarN

indrakumarN

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

I want to know that all CRT monitors having flicker and LCD monitors doesn't have any flicker on the image we shot is it because of the scanning types of Interlaced and progressive methods ?

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

I want to know that all CRT monitors having flicker and LCD monitors doesn't have any flicker on the image we shot is it because of the scanning types of Interlaced and progressive methods ?

It's more a matter of how long the surface is illuminated than the scanning mode. The CRT has a single point being hit by the electron gun at any instant, and the phosphors glow briefly after it passes. The surface is actually dark most of the time. The LCD has light coming from it most of the time, so it doesn't much matter when your shutter opens and closes.

-- J.S.

#3 indrakumarN

indrakumarN

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

It's more a matter of how long the surface is illuminated than the scanning mode. The CRT has a single point being hit by the electron gun at any instant, and the phosphors glow briefly after it passes. The surface is actually dark most of the time. The LCD has light coming from it most of the time, so it doesn't much matter when your shutter opens and closes.

-- J.S.

Thanks !

Indrakumar N

Asst.Cinematographer, India.

#4 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:00 PM

My computer monitor is a progressive scan CRT and I do not have any problems with flicker like you get with those interlace scanned analog televisions.

#5 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

My computer monitor is a progressive scan CRT and I do not have any problems with flicker like you get with those interlace scanned analog televisions.

Let me say it again: This is not a digital vs. analog debate. (BTW, shouldn't you be spelling it analogue? That's how I'd spell it if I lived on your island)

Just because something is digital, analog, CRT, or LCD has nothing to do with flicker.

So please will you quit trying to have out your personal crusade against CRT and analog devices on threads that should be informative in nature?

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:26 PM

What's the frame rate of the monitor, and the frame rate and shutter angle of the camera you shot it with? There are combinations of those numbers that work, and vastly more combinations that don't. (Or perhaps you missed that the OP's question was about shooting the monitor, not just viewing it.)

-- J.S.

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

The Slider

Technodolly

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Metropolis Post