Photo

Any Boston Members know a quality theatre?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 monday sunnlinn

monday sunnlinn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

So I lived in Orlando for a long time and had the benefit of having Universal Studios AMC Theatres about 5 minutes from my house.

I moved up to Boston about 18 months ago and have been hard pressed to find a theatre that understands that you're actually supposed to focus the projector and make sure it's not keystoning. Even the Boston Commons AMC is hit or miss depending on which screen it is. Given the ridiculous price of that place, I generally don't go there. But I've been challenged to find another theatre that plays some of the bigger movies and bothers to take the time to make sure they're in focus. I live in Davis Square and literally can walk to the Somerville Theatre in 5 minutes. Their main screen has the worst keystoning I've seen in my entire life and I've been to a lot of different theatres in a lot of different states. The bottom left corner is sticking out by about 2 feet. In that case, I'm not sure if it's the screen itself or the projector.

I'm actually thinking about asking them to let me try and fix it for them...I doubt I could make it worse.

I went to see Transformers 2 a theatre at the Fresh Pond Mall near the Alewife T stop. I think it was DLP because I could see the individual RGB channels phase in and out of focus. Not sure if I liked the movie or not as I couldn't really see it. Plus it skipped at one point...

Ughhh...

#2 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

I simply do not get to enough movies to give a solid recommendation. I wanted to tell you, although perhaps you know,
that the Somerville Theater in Davis Square goes back to the days of vaudeville. That's certainly before my time, but it was a kick to feel its history when going to the movies there.

Some of my best movie experiences were there back before they modernized the theater. In the 80s it had a repertory schedule that showed four different movies a day! That lasted for only a while but it was great. The movies were classics and offbeat that weren't generally shown anywhere else. It was great to be able to see big screen movies (one big screen back then) from the balcony.

i haven't been to the Brattle in Harvard Square in a while but that is run by movie lovers. I'm sure that they're paying attention to how
things look on screen. Also check out the Coolidge in Coolidge Corner in Brookline.

For big release mainstream movies I'm not sure where to tell you but the Coolidge is probably your best local chance to see "Lawrence of Arabia" on a big screen. They bring classics like that around every once in a while, as well as a lot of funky independent stuff.

#3 Adam Garner

Adam Garner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

Makes me sad to hear that it's hard to find a solid theater in such a great city. I moved from Boston to Austin about 6 years ago and we're SO lucky to have the Alamo Drafthouse theatres that are no-bullshit theaters run by movie lovers. They serve great food and beer, and have the best stadium seating and projectors ever. Really refreshing to go see movies without the riff-raff.

I'd imagine the Brattle may be the best bet since it's run by movie lovers too. I remember them doing pretty groovy events too. I only saw one flick there, ever, and don't remember it sucking... and I'm tough to please. I saw a bunch of films at the Kenmore theater, but I think they were less mainstream... I remember seeing Monsoon Wedding a few years ago... those kinds of movies.

There's a theater I used to go to occasionally out on RT. 9, on the right hand side going west. It was in a mall with a Neiman's or a Macy's or something. That was a reasonably good spot too, from what I recall.

I feel ya.

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport