6 replies to this topic

#1 harshal nachnolkar

harshal nachnolkar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:09 AM

What minimum resolution or other requirements are to be kept in mind if I am to shoot in digital and blow it up to 35mm (HDV or DVCPRO HD)? can i use any of the following cameras

1. Sony HDR-FX1
2. Sony HVR-Z1
3. JVC GY-HD100/101
4. Panasonic AG-HVX200
5. Canon XLH1
6. Panasonic AG-DVX100
7. Sony Z7

I read on wikipedia dat danny boyle used the 6th one to shoot some scenes in 28 days later. Also tell me something about frame rates and audio capture speeds. i guess they are different for different formats. and hence can cause problems.anything you can tell me will be of great help. thank you.

Edited by harshal nachnolkar, 29 June 2009 - 06:12 AM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

What minimum resolution or other requirements are to be kept in mind if I am to shoot in digital and blow it up to 35mm (HDV or DVCPRO HD)? can i use any of the following cameras

1. Sony HDR-FX1
2. Sony HVR-Z1
3. JVC GY-HD100/101
4. Panasonic AG-HVX200
5. Canon XLH1
6. Panasonic AG-DVX100
7. Sony Z7

I read on wikipedia dat danny boyle used the 6th one to shoot some scenes in 28 days later. Also tell me something about frame rates and audio capture speeds. i guess they are different for different formats. and hence can cause problems.anything you can tell me will be of great help. thank you.

Which shows you there are no minimum requirements, since the DVX100 is a standard definition camera, the lowest resolution camera on the list. You should be asking which would deliver the best 24P or 25P image for transfer to film, not what the minimum requirements are, because you can transfer anything to 35mm.

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

6. Panasonic AG-DVX100
7. Sony Z7

Hmmm, first I've heard of a DVX being used for 28 days. My understanding was that the whole thing was shot on the canon XL1s. A PAL model as the video was shot in the UK. (so it would be 25fps and a bit easier to transfer to film) I imagine such a camera was even lower resolution than the DVX100, although apparenlty they used high end cine lenses with the XL1s which may have helped.

Inland Empire was shot on the PD150 so David is right, if you wanted to you could shoot on any old dv camera you like and blow it up to 35mm. Of course people rarely do this as it is mind blowingly expensive.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 29 June 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

XL and DVX are both the same resoltion, MiniDV, 720x480 (for NTSC), though if memory serves, the DVX is a bit newer so it might have better imagers. I always liked the DVX for it's specitic "look." A great example of DVX footage shot well, would be the documentary Iraq in Fragments.
I do recall, though, 28 days later being shot on the XL1 with cine-lenses mounted on her (there are some XLs with PL fronts, it seems)

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:07 PM

XL and DVX are both the same resoltion, MiniDV, 720x480 (for NTSC), though if memory serves, the DVX is a bit newer so it might have better imagers. I always liked the DVX for it's specitic "look." A great example of DVX footage shot well, would be the documentary Iraq in Fragments.
I do recall, though, 28 days later being shot on the XL1 with cine-lenses mounted on her (there are some XLs with PL fronts, it seems)

True enough but in practice the XL1s would need to have its footage de-interlaced whereas the DVX100 was progressive, which would result in a higher resolution transfer to film.

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Quite true quite true, thought I wonder how much you'd loose/gain on that.

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Quite true quite true, thought I wonder how much you'd loose/gain on that.

In theory loads because you are throwing away half the information. In practice I'm not sure as companies developed fancy algorithms that could sort of keep some of the information from the lost fields. From what I can tell this involves sacrificing chickens and other strange stuff tho. So you might be right depending on how powerful the magic involved was and my understanding is that Mr Boyle could afford some seriously powerful magic.

Oh BTW the XL1s had interchangeable lenses which I suspect was why they picked it. There were PL mount converters available for the canon mount so they didn't need to have the cameras hard fronted. Hey I'm full of completely useless knowledge about obsolete video cameras! ;) The lenses could be a factor in resolution too of course. That lens on the DVX100 against zeiss or cooke glass. Hmmmm. :)

love

Freya

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio